1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

For Sale: Stunning house in rural Cambridgeshire

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Elizabeth13, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +121
    My parents have had their house up for sale for a while now, and barely any viewings at all. The two that have seen, wish to buy but have their own properties to sell first. My parents need to really sell now ASAP, as they have been waiting months to make an offer on another property - and there's only so long before someone else makes an offer!

So if anyone wants to live in a lovely village with good links to Cambridge, Peterborough and London (Train station is 20 minutes away and has trains every 15 minutes to London) - please do take a look at this house! The photo's do not do the house justice; it is absolutely stunning and very 'private' feeling to it. There's a lot of character, a lot of house, a lot of extra outbuildings, a lot of parking (owned driveway), a lot of garden, and even a solar heated indoor swimming pool, all for such a small price!

There are two separate links (from different estate agents):

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25163214.html

As I said, the photo's really don't do the house justice - the rooms look small in the photo's (in my honest opinion) when they are much larger in size.
    The first link has more photos and a floor plan, but the second link is the current estate agents.

Also, if anyone has any idea's on how to improve viewings (a lot of people seem to be looking online, but we need people through the door because we know they will fall in love with the house!) then please, all advice welcome [​IMG]

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,020

Sorry to say this but Zoopla gives a much lower estimate than the advertised price. Zoopla is just a couple of clicks from that first link, I think that's the reason viewers are staying away. Your parents might have to have a word with the estate agent for a revaluation.

You can go on Zoopla yourself and refine the estimate if you disagree with it, then folk won't see such a discrepancy. Hope that helps :dbgrtmb:

3. Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +121
    I've looked on zoopla - what do you mean by estimate? I can't see what you're looking at? (Sorry, i sound a bit ditzy!)

And both estate agents (onto the second one now) has said the asking price is absolutely fine, they don't think there's anything wrong with it :noidea:

Edit: Do you mean the "4 bedroom properties in PE28" bit? If so, PE28 is a massive area, including a lot of villages and towns, and also the city of Peterborough. It's not very accurate to the specific village, nor the type of house with all the extra's you get with it. For example, the estimate could include 4 bedroom terraced houses, properties with no gardens, no private off road parking, no outbuildings etc.
    Either way, my parents are considering lowering the price anyway for a quick sale, even though the estate agents think the price is spot on. It would be a shame though, as you get a lot of house for the money, a lot of gardens/plot, a lot of outbuildings/car ports/parking, as well as an annexe potential and the indoor swimming pool.

There are two other properties in the Village for the same price, both being 4 bedrooms. Neither have anywhere near as much land, no outbuildings, off road parking, annexe etc. let alone the indoor swimming pool! (if they want it, if the buyers don't my parents have made it clear the swimming pool can be taken down before the buyers move in - then there would be two annexes!)

4. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Being next door to a newsagents could put people off and that mass of shrubbery in the front garden might make it look as if they are try to shut themselves off from some problem, plus there doesn't appear to be any obvious vehicular access from the front of the property and there's only very sketchy information in both estate agents' particulars regarding how this access is achieved - is a remote, shared access vulnerable to obstruction and inconvenient for visitors? (from streetview)

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,020

This is what Zoopla shows for that property, sorry but it's over 100k less!:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/41-high-street/warboys/huntingdon/pe28-2ta/18225961

So I'd suggest someone 'refines' that estimate, if I can easily find it so can prospective viewers and a 100k discrepancy is a bit off-putting.

The other thing I'd suggest is to get the Agents to take some new photos now, the existing ones with Hollyhocks in full bloom obviously show that the property has been on sale for some time. Now is a good time for photos as the front garden may look a little less cramped if the shrubs are bare - just adding to Scrungee's comments.

6. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    JWK In the absence of previous sold price data at the Land Registry for that property, the Zoopla estimate may well be crudely based on recently sold/updated previously sold prices for properties simply with the same number of bedrooms in the same area.

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,020
    Yes I agree Scrungee, it's not an accurate thing by any stretch of the imagination especially in a street where houses are all different sizes and types. I would still go into Zoopla and refine the estimate if it was me selling, it's easy to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Cheers for that John, I didn't know about the Zoopla estimates, checked mine and it was only £124k:yikes:

Refined the estimate with more details and its now £234k:phew:

No wonder its not getting viewed much.

• Like Like x 2
      • Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Just found that there is some previous sold price info. ( £106,500 in 1996) and checking that against another property in the same postcode area Zoopla seem to be estimating current prices by assuming all property values have increased three-fold since then. What may not have been taken into account are extensions/improvements/etc. that have been carried out since that last sale, and the info. on the Valuation Office website indicates that there has been improvements to the property (Isn't it amazing all the stuff you can find out on the internet?).

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Well that did the trick, half an hour later someone knocked on the door wanting to see the place:biggrin:

• Like Like x 4
          • Scrungee

Ratings:
            +28,997
            I toyed with the idea of upping the Zoopla estimated value of Castle Scrunge to a really impressive amount, but chickened out when I thought these values might be used in the event of a re-valuation for Council Tax banding purposes.

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,020

Really Zigs! I hope they liked it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
                Ratings:
                +121

The news agents is detached. To the other side of the property there is a small attached house (very small). Beside that is the large private owned by us driveway, which goes behind the first part of the garden to one of our gates, and also even further back to the next set of gates. It is the houses owned driveway, but we do allow the small house neighbour to park in an allocated area of the driveway.

• Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
                Ratings:
                +121
                You are quite right here. As much as my parents purchased the house for a much less price, and have since sold two plots of land (so there was even bigger garden then there is now, believe it or not!) the house was a sham. It was rotten through the core with cat urine and other unpleasantries. It has only just been totally finished off completely for the sale.

How do you go about changing the estimate? As it is way off base!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Register with Zoopla then you claim the house as your own, you then get the option of filling in loads of details (athough sadly there is no option of adding solar panels) uploading pics and doing a write up.

• Informative Informative x 1