For Those Who Like Birds

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Redwing, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    I don’t know if this allowed but Hen Harriers are being persecuted on the uplands of this country. I am posting a link to a petition. Hen Harriers are at critically low levels in England and killed by game keepers in England and Scotland who value driven grouse shooting above the lives of Hen Harriers. Only thee pairs nested in England in 2017 whereas there is suitable habitat for about 300 pairs. They are in danger of extinction as a breeding species in England. It is a criminal offence to kill Hen Harriers, yet it goes on. The police do not have the resources to deal with wildlife crime properly. Please sign this petition.

Petition: Ban Driven Grouse Shooting

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,459
      I would love to sign, but i don't sign petitions, Sorry,

We had a Duck shoot 150 yards away from our house, flying dead Duck hits house, next year, shot hits bedroom window with me standing by it :mad: went out to look for pellets and another lot of pellets fell 5 feet away on patio, next time same year, we were walking back across footpath and next thing we new was they just started the shoot and one person shot towards us and pellets landed in the hedge 10 feet away, i had a good go at them:snorky: we then had more problem the next year so we phoned the land owner and got the wife and she put a stop to it :yahoo:

The worst bit about saying things around here is, you may get a brick through your window
      We also get people shoting Rooks when nesting :mad:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,078
        The poluce have lost control of the streets and are now loosing control of the small rural towns and the countryside.
        Hare coursing and deer killing is now going on around me. When it comes to birds of prey theres loads of buzzards around nowadays. Im sure one of them was eying up my Westie a while back as a mid morning snack.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          We have nesting Buzzards in our little wood. They were here before we arrived 18 years ago. They never fly over our garden far less try and kill the little birds here or our cats. They very much keep themselves to themselves and none of the sheep farmers around here are bothered by them. Damned Seagulls cause a much bigger threat to sheep than Buzzards do. I think your wee Westie is pretty safe @WeeTam . Grew up with 3 who would fight with a pebble dash wall if necessary. I'd back a Westie against a Buzzard any day of the week! I've signed the petition @Redwing but still waiting for the email I need to activate my vote. I'll keep an eye open for it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830