Forsythia

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Bgfloyd, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Bgfloyd

Bgfloyd Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, new to the forum!
    I have purchased a house with various overgrown shrubs. Please, if someone could take a look at my photographs of this forsythia and let me know if it is worth persevering with or not!

The size reaches nearly to my bedroom window, I have cut away at least a third already, is covered in this disease, and is quite woody. However, it is now starting to flower and bud since having the attention? Is this usual? I have also noticed there are a few off shoots would these be more prone to the disease ?

Thanks! IMG_20180928_130457.jpg IMG_20180928_130635.jpg IMG_20180926_190459.jpg

2. zilly

zilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +577
    If it were mine I'd cut it hard back all over. It will soon start to shoot again next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Hiya Bgfloyd....welcome to the forum :)

Firstly, a lot of shrubs are reflowering this year....your forsythia usually flowers in early spring. It probably would have flowered if you hadn't pruned it :noidea:

That disease looks like forsythia gall.......you can prune branches affected back to clean wood but if mine I would remove the plant. It would take a few years to recover and flower again so I would plant something else there you could enjoy from next year :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Bgfloyd

Bgfloyd Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Thank you both for your replies. The gall is particularly bad, and also affected one in the back garden too. I was wondering if it has had it's time as it looks more like a tree than the internet pictures I have seen!

However, the sparrows LOVE it. I have conifer hedges on the other side so I may try to remove it and hope they don't get too upset while a new shrub is growing in it's place!

It has been very mild! I have a hosta starting to flower too!

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,486
        There are also very attractive and very floriferous forsythia varieties now too....however, if you do decide to plant another then do so in a different site Bgfloyd :)
        Sparrows here seem adaptable.....they have decided to swarm in and around an archway of honeysuckles; I think previously they enjoyed a rather large juniper that I removed

• Like Like x 1