Fountain too strong?

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Jurassic Gardener, May 2, 2019.

1. Jurassic Gardener

Jurassic Gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I have a small pond approximately 5ft long by 3ft wide. It has a Hozelock Easyclear pump and filter unit, some plants and four goldfish. I've had the fish a couple of years now, and recently I changed the fountain head to a 'geyser jet' - one of those frothy bubbling ones? It looks really amazing but it does make the surface of the water a bit choppy. I have noticed that the fish now spend a lot of time hiding amongst the plants and I am wondering if they are put off by rough seas? I really like the look and sound of the fountain but I also like to see my fish, so I will change it if I need to.
    Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,707
    Yes, I reckon it is making them feel rather sea-sick! Are you able to try turning down the pump, before you abandon the new head? When I had a powered pump in my pond that had a sliding switch which could be used to regulate the output.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jurassic Gardener

Jurassic Gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you. I have just been outside - I adjusted the flow but it ended up looking like the pump needed cleaning so with a quick bit of DIY I took the head off and came up with a bubbling urn thingy - photos attached. Fish still in hiding, I am hoping it was the fountain and not a secret heron visitor - never seen one before but there is a first time for everything.

Attached Files:

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      Fish prefer the surface of shallow water or some part of it to be still. If it's even a bit choppy all over, then they aren't able to see possible preditors.