1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Foxes. Love or hate?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Rosa StormAngel, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Rosa StormAngel

Rosa StormAngel Gardener with attitude!

Jewellery Designer
    Ratings:
    +46
    Now I wasn't sure whether to post this in here, in wildlife, or in pests!
    I know some people have a real thing about foxes in their garden, but I love them.
    Looking out from the kitchen window yesterday, I saw not one, but TWO of these beautiful creatures. Their thick red coats looked amazing against the white of the snow.
    I've had a return visit from one of them (or could be a totally different one of course) today, and I'm looking forward to seeing much more of them :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      I don't think I could ever love them. Its taken a lot of years for me to learn not to hate them. That's probably as good as it gets with me.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Rosa StormAngel

Jewellery Designer
        Ratings:
        +46
        I know they cause a lot of damage sometimes, but they're such beautiful creatures.
        I'm a sucker for cute furry things. I like squirrels too!! :oops:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,616
          i am with clueless on this tolerate not liked .... but i will concede that they are a handsome creature

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,792
          Love:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
            +149
            Beautiful animals, fun to watch on TV - especially the cubs. But, in real life I'm afraid they cause us so many headaches and have killed so many ducks, hens and geese over the years that I hate to see them anywhere near now :frown:

• Like Like x 1
            • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
              Ratings:
              +10,739
              I'm inclined to agree with Clueless and Kaz here.

They are a nuisance in my garden. Apart from the fact that they're always looking for an opportunity to slaughter my chickens (which has happened in the past), they have a tendency to randomly dig very large holes in the middle of my vegetable patch, often uprooting and destroying several plants in the process.

I've had to give up completely on using blood, fish & bone as a general fertilizer in the veg patch (which always gave excellent results), as this simply encouraged them to dig even more holes. :mad:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
              Ratings:
              +14,125
              I think they are some of our most beautiful wildlife.. Whether urban or country we should try & learn to live with them.. It can be possible & enjoy them & deter them from our gardens..

When we first came here no new houses had been built, we looked out onto fields & we had a badger set 2 fields away in one direction & a fox's den a couple of fields away in the other direction & rabbits everywhere.. My neighbour & I installed proper rabbit proof fencing on our boundaries... One problem solved.. :blue thumb: Solved the badger problem with the old "Male urine" trick...
              He used to put all his scraps over the fence in the same place & the foxes used to come & feed there & we never really had any problems after that & we both kept chickens too..! :SUNsmile: The foxes were content with his scraps & before you say, no we didn't have any vermin either..!!! We used to sit in his garden on summer evenings & watch the foxes..

On frosty morning if you walked by the badger sett steam would be rising from their holes from their breath as they slept.... We watched them out on many a night...

Then the old farmer who owned the fields died & it was bought by speculatores although it was green belt..!

Planning was refused but in the end they went to the DOE & the minister just looked on the map & said yes no problem & the green belt was moved..!!!

We now have a housing estate all along that side of the village that more than doubled the size of the village... !!

The badgers met with a terrible & horrific end early one morning as they slept.. We had TV & all sorts of support there but it was still done.. There are now houses on that ground...!!!!

The foxes & rabbits have retreated to the woods about a mile away now..!!

A sad day when that decision was taken but we tried, there were less than 500 residents in the village then & everyone signed!!!! So the minister said the petition etc was counted as nothing..!!! Sorry rant over.. :phew:

So yes.. I think Foxes are lovely creatures as long as you keep them at a distance I think..

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,477
                I am in the 'tolerate' camp, but that is mainly based on the fact that the foxes we get are city foxes, so are more into bin raking and have very little fear of humans (to the point that they have been known to enter homes etc).

However, they are handsome creatures, and are highly intelligent - I watched one just the other night going through the front gardens of the houses across the street; never once did it jump over anything, it simply weaved in and out and found gaps where you and I wouldn't even see a gap.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                I keep ducks and hens, so my answer is most likely "predictable".

In rural areas, it would seem they do not cause the same "massacres" of poulty that they tend to commit in suburban areas?

The house I now live in, the previous owners positively encouraged these "sweet/cute/beautiful" creatures: indeed, I believe there was a den in my copse area at one point.

If they killed for food, that (to my mind) would be acceptable/natural/forgivable. However, they do not stop at merely killing for food; they do it for sport!

May 2010 - five hens taken in the night (clearly more than a morsel!)
                February 2011 - mid-day, no more than 12 feet away from me, bright sunshine: a fox trapped one of my hens within his jaws while I was out there! (Until I became the epitome of a banshee and scared it off :redface: )

I do believe there is a difference in behaviour between an urban fox and a rural fox.

I do not encourage urban foxes. (That is not the same as saying I would harm one ;) )

I do not encourage them; I protect my flocks as best as I can from them; and, I appreciate they are one of natures gifts in the same way all life is and hold a healthy respect for them for that reason.

I think tigers are "cute furry" creatures: I won't be encouraging one of those into my garden any time soon :heehee:

Love? Nope
                Hate? Nope
                (Both far too simplistic and opposite ends of the spectrum)
                Respect? Yes; a healthy respect for *any* species.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +85,637
                  Not living in the country I enjoy any form of wildlife that enters my garden.
                  Foxes are no worse than domestic ****, (not allowed to say that word on here:nonofinger: ), for making a mess of the garden.
                  Only difference is, the fox is trying to survive.:)

• Agree Agree x 4
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,946
                    We sometimes get fixes in the garden. When I come home from a night shift I often stand and watch them for half an hour. Especially the mischievous cubs. I'm in the like camp. It may be different if I kept chickens and they were taking them though so I do sympathise with this.

Rusty

• Rosa StormAngel

Jewellery Designer
                    Ratings:
                    +46
                    When we moved into this house (about 14 years ago) the garden hadn't been looked after, and there were foxes living under a large derelict shed at the bottom. It wasn't safe, so we had to knock it down.
                    I guess the ones that I see now are urban ones, though I'm not far from countryside, so they could be either.
                    I agree with Pete, that when you don't actually live in the country, it's nice to see any form of wildlife in your garden :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,547
                    Welcome to GC Rosa. :)

I love foxes, they are such beautiful creatures but sadly we haven't got any here on the island. Out at night I still expect to see them even though I've lived here twenty years.

• Rosa StormAngel

Jewellery Designer
                    Ratings:
                    +46
                    Thanks for the welcome Sheal :)
                    Are there no foxes on the Isle of Man then at all?
                    I guess it's too far for them to swim!

• Like Like x 1