1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Foxgloves

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by AndyS, Jul 7, 2014.

1. AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
    +50
    Hi,

I've been trying to research this on the 'net but find the different info. confusing - perhaps because different varieties behave differently, or perhaps just because I'm dim?!
    Anyway, I grew some foxgloves from seed last year and they have flowered beautifully this year (despite being in full sun - didn't realise I was supposed to plant them somewhere shady?!) but the blooms are now dying off so my question is - what next?
    Will they die altogether now, or come back next summer? I took biennial to mean they will live on but won't flower again now til summer 2016. But have just read that some are annuals and others short-lived perennials so am confused!
    Either way, will mine be likely to produce seed-heads that I can save from? And given that I failed to plant any more seed this spring, does that mean that I will be bereft of blooms next year now, with them being biennial?
    Thanks for any help/clarification.

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    If you have any spent flowerheads leave them on until they drop their seed. This should ensure you have some foxgloves for 2016.
    As for 2015 it depends on whether you have any seedlings around right now. If your foxglove was a bought one you may not. So nip out PDQ, buy some and scatter them around - that way you just might get some seedlings ready to flower next year. But it is rather late.
    Biennials germinate one year, overwinter as smallish plants then put on weight for a big flowering and seeding effort fairly early the following year. Most will die back after that, but foxgloves sometimes stagger on for another year or two, but are unlikely to perform as well, especially if they have already produced lots of seed. Job done and all that. So that is why they might be described as perennial.

If you have lots of seedheads on your existing plants you could hedge your bets by cutting about half down in the hope of extending the life of those plants and leaving half on to sow the next lot of seed for you.

They will grow in most places, ask the ones that select the dry and sunny hedgetops as their preferred venue!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      Yes, leave them to self seed, they will be everywhere :loll:, I planted mine 3-4 years ago they come up in the most odd places, I dead headed a lot of mine as I didn`t want many more, once the seed start turning brown, save a few for back up, leave the rest once they get to a decent size you can move them where you want them.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        I let mine self seed and then thin the plants out when they get too big.

I hate wasting perfectly good plants and so pot up the thinnings and plant them elsewhere in the garden or give them away.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
          +50
          Brilliant. That all sounds much simpler and more manageable than I was expecting. I have some old seed lying around so I'll get them into some modules under cover now, but even if that fails to produce blooms for next year it sounds like all this self-seeding will make 2015 my only bloom-free year for a good while.
          Thanks for all the helpful advice :-)

• Like Like x 1