Free Cosmos Seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by trogre, Sep 21, 2013.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +279
    Hi All.

Hope you all had a good colourful summer after the bad cold start. I like others got the free seeds from Amateur Gardening magazine during the year. We had already purchased and planted the seeds we wanted as it was the 1st year for us to try growing our annual plants from seeds.

Being a bit green I thought, plant 50 seeds, get 50 plants!!! Learnt now that is not the case. We also fell into the trap of, hey look we have 50 little plants, let’s plant 50 plants. In the end we tried to plant every single plant that grew. It was not so much a mistake as we had wonderful colours but we could not move for pots, 80 in all, even had to carefully pass the hosepipe over the pots without knocking flowers off.

Next year we will go for more variety but less of in numbers. Mind you all the seeds that we planted that we got from Amateur gardening grew well. Cannot remember if we got mixed Aster seeds from them or I purchased separately.

We thought we may of put them out too early as they did not grow but all of a sudden they went mad and what a wonderful show. I think without research they may flower from midsummer so perhaps can be planted out a little bit later.

I have got off the subject of the theme of post, Cosmos. They were free seeds and again never grown them but what stunners. Like a twerp I never kept the packet from Amateur Gardening. I know they were Thomson & Morgan seeds bit does anyone remember the variety?

I have looked on the T/M site and they may have been "Gezebo"variety?? Anyone.

Another free seed which again I threw the packet away grew very well but cannot remember the name. Around 24" tall, flowers about as big as 2p and dozens of them, some have like a deep burgundy colour fringed with yellow. Others are yellow with a burgundy centre.

All I can say I am sure the name starts with O and ends with SIS, O-----------SIS. Not much help but if I can find a flower that has not faded then I will post.

Thanks