1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Front porch turns into nursery!

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Beckie76, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,435
    I had to post this picture, hubby is pulling his hair out! He says there's plants everywhere :hapydancsmil:anyway here's a photo of my bedding plants (from Aldi potted on) & some sunflowers grown a bit early :whistle:from seed
    image.jpg I think they are all looking good. I also have some sunflowers in the kitchen & nasturtiums, sunflowers & marigold seeds in trays on the bathroom window ledge :), I've not got any in the bedrooms yet but there's still time!!! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,631
      when i read the title i was thinking why is your porch full of children lol

all looking very good :smile:

• Funny Funny x 3
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Bravo @Beckie76 you have certainly been busy and utilised every bit of space to get a head start on your flowering year ahead :dbgrtmb:

I have begun succession planting of nasturtiums outdoors. First few seeds went out a week ago (slightly early) and next week another few will go out and then a fortnight after that and so(w) on. I shall begin planting my sunflowers out (in situ) in a couple of weeks time too.

As for hubby pulling his hair out ... :ideaIPB: ... bonus! Hair is fine in the compost heap :blue thumb: :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
          Ratings:
          +7,491
          There's plenty there to keep you busy Beckie! :yay: I haven't even started my sunflowers or marigolds yet. I've got dwarf sunflowers this year called "Choco Sun." I have grown them before and they're good for my garden as it gets windy. I tried taller sunflowers last year which have to go in containers - the wind proved to be a right pain!

• Informative Informative x 2
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            Good point! Really glad you posted that because I've only got tall varieties and hadn't even considered the wind :doh:

• Like Like x 3
            • LyndaG

LyndaG Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,390
              Haha, Beckie, that is EXACTLY how my house looks at the moment! Luckily I have an upstairs bedroom that gets plenty of light and I bought some shelves for greenhouses from Aldi a couple of weeks ago that are stacked to breaking point with early starters! Every time I come through the front door, Phil says "oh no" if he sees plants, lol. Well done you, you go girl!! Are you going to @shineys open day? I really hope so, it would be lovely to meet you x x If the husbands do any more moaning, we'll just put them together in my house with bloke stuff (tools, top gear, unidentified bloke things) and I'll bring all my plants to yours or vice versa, voila! Everybody's happy!! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
                Ratings:
                +7,491
                Mine were in pots and due to their height and the wind (I'm near to the coast/mouth of the river Mersey), kept blowing over until I tied them to the fence! With hindsight I should have used bigger pots as I only grow in containers. Would your tall varieties be ok planted in a border with good support despite any wind?

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                Hmm, I'm giving it some thought. To be able to give them the best possible amount of sunshine, they would need to go in the west facing border ... but that is where the prevailing wind attacks and, as you can see, there isn't a lot to buffer it ...

View.jpg

They would possibly end up doing a back flip into the neighbours garden :roflol:

• Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +8,435
                  thanks M I hadn't realised I could sow my nasturtium outside this early, thanks for telling me I can now free up some space on the bathroom widow ledge :loll:
                  Thank goodness I can start putting out my sunflowers, again that will free up some much needed space! I can literally see mine growing by the day it's great :blue thumb:

I have a wind problem too Fern4, I'm going to get some more canes to tie some of mine up & also plant some in the veggie patch with the runner beans just to make it look a bit more pretty! I will have a look for some chocco sun seeds when I go to the garden centre....a girl can never have enough seeds :heehee:

LyndaG id very much like to take you up on the offer if putting our husbands together!!! :roflol: Mine keeps moaning about plants everytime I go out too, they just don't get it do they!!!! If it was screwdrivers or drills we would at least look interested ;) in a sort of bored kind of way!!!! :heehee: Yes I'm very much hoping to get to Shineys open day,it would be lovely to meet you :dbgrtmb:. Just think of the plants we can buy there :hapfeet:

• Like Like x 1
                  • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    You may want to acclimatise yours first before putting them outside permanently if they are young plants @Beckie76 - mine are being sown as seed outdoors and haven't been given a 5* hotel head start :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Funny Funny x 1
                    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      I look after my mums garden but I only live in an eighth storey flat. Currently all my windowsills have been emptied and loaded up with fuchsias and every bit of spare space in my bedroom as well.

• Like Like x 3
                      • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +2,946
                        I have not sown a single seed yet. We have decided to move house this year, so it will go on the market in the next few weeks. I'm torn wether to sow anything or to buy from garden center. I don't really want my conservatory full of seeds and seedlings if people are viewing the house. Only problem is I really have a big itch that needs scratching, so I might have to sow something, even if it lives in the grow house and cold frames.

Rusty

• Like Like x 2
                        • Paullypaul

Paullypaul Gardener

Planning Manager
                          Ratings:
                          +283
                          I know the feeling very well Beckie. I am now taking all sorts of flack for my indoor horticultural activities. Lots of dahlias and begonias started off from tubers, and seedlings of dahlias, zinnias, chrysthanths. There is no porch so I am slowly taking over the hallway and even one of the bedrooms.

• Like Like x 4
                          • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +8,435
                            Great video @Paullypaul. I love all your plants, they are all looking really good & healthy :dbgrtmb:

• Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +8,435
                            Thought I'd better pop an up to date photo of the porch! I think I need a porch extension! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:. I'm so pleased with all the plants & needless to say they are all Aldi! I can't wait to get them on the patio. :dbgrtmb:
                            image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1