1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fruit Cordons

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Dan E, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Dan E

Dan E Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, been thinking of getting some fruit trees for a while now but have basically been told we dont have the room in the back garden, so i'm thinking next best thing is to get some cordons in.

I've done a bit of research, understand the concept and how to grow them but there is one piece of information, vital to me, that i cant find anywhere....

....yield!

Anyone have any experience of growing cordons and if so what can you expect to get off of them??

thanks in advance!

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I have no idea about cordons, but if space is the issue, bear in mind that there are many fruit trees available nowadays that have been bred to suit container growing, and take up very little space while still giving a good yield. Have a look at this for example:

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/c-cc/fruit-trees-patiodwarf/2/

3. Spotlandman

Spotlandman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Never going to match a fully grown tree but should give a good yield per square mt and you can grow more varieties. If I was planing apples it would be the choice for me . Best of luck

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    We've got half a dozen old Apple trees and most of their production goes to waste (we could no doubt be more organised to harvest and store them, but picking from trees is harder than from Espaliers or the like).

I fancy growing some Family trees - with several varieties grafted on, so that we have Cookers / and Early-to-Late eaters. I may be kidding myself, but I think I would be more likely to go out an pick a couple each day "for the table" - I still can't see us storing any though.