Fruit tree advice

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Big Gaz, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Big Gaz

Big Gaz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi forum,

I'm having a go at growing fruit trees, where there was once a horrible prickly bush that was a nightmare to trim as it was so prickly. I pulled the whole thing out, turned it over, built a simple fence with two posts, and wire between, and then bought three fruit trees ...

So, I planted these trees in Spring, and I've gone for the diagonal style growing, as that seemed the best way to get different sorts on the small stretch there.

There's an apple, pear and plum tree. I know I am suppose to prune these, but I'm a bit lost. I've got a leaflet that came with the trees I ordered off t'internet. Then there's advice in a big gardening book the in laws lent me, then there's even more on Youtube.

I've taken some photos, and thought I would see if anyone could guide me a bit.

The first is the pear, then the apple, then the plumb. Then I went round again and took some closer.

[​IMG]
    Pear

[​IMG]
    Apple

[​IMG]
    Plumb

2. Big Gaz

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]
    Close up pear

[​IMG]
    Close up apple

[​IMG]
    Close up plumb

3. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,158
    Hello Big Gaz, what you've got there are oblique cordons, or they will be when you've pruned them! :) Here's a link to sound advice...Apples and pears: growing and training as cordons / RHS Gardening
    For the apple and pear, prune all the long shoots coming off the main stem. Count three knobbly bits from the trunk and cut them just above the third. Leave any shorter bits coming off the main stem alone. When you've finished, you should have your bamboo canes tied to the wires at an angle of 45°, with one long main stem tied to the bamboo cane.
    Best not to prune the plum now, because of the risk of disease getting into the cuts. Tie it to the angled cane, and during a dry spell next Spring or summer, prune as for the others.
    From then on, it's just a case of shortening the side shoots every summer and eventually chopping the top of the main stem when the cordons are long enough.

4. Big Gaz

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, that's so easy the way you've written it! Talk of counting knobbly bits rather than "pruning maiden leaders" is about on my level :)

Thanks so much. I will have a read of that page too mate.

5. noisette47

Ratings:
    +5,158
  6. Big Gaz

Ratings:
    +0
    I liked the look of the trees that grew straight up with the branches growing out along the wires better, but it didn't think it would work very well with the three all growing into each other, so I went for the oblique cordon thing.

7. noisette47

Ratings:
    +5,158
    Yes, espaliers are lovely when they're well trained, very productive too. But they take years to form (unless you buy a ready-made) so it's a wise choice to start with the cordons.