Solved Fruit tree desease help please.

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Em2019, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Em2019

Em2019 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello everyone,

I am a very new gardener and have found lots of wonderful info on these forums so far (thank you). Unfortunately, my own research isn’t giving me a proper answer to this one so I am very sorry if this is a very obvious question or I have posted in the wrong place, but I am hoping some of you kindly knowledgeable folk will be able to help me please.

We inherited some old some fruit trees in our garden - at least 15 years old possibly more. They have been neglected in recent years so in January I pruned them as per advice I found online and I cleared the (long) grass from the base, put grease bands on and fed with potash. Most seem ok so far this spring, but two are showing signs of distress and I would very much appreciate some help and guidance as to what I need to do.

One of the pear trees (I believe it may be a Conference pear?)) has developed some scattered leaves which are blackened and curling - photo below. From my research, I can’t tell what it is - so I am hoping the experienced folk on here can help me please. It looks like blight or possibly canker and neither sounds curable? Thank you. 6C2EBF3D-EBB8-4940-980F-E169C55B2AC9.jpeg

I also have what I believe is a much younger apple tree, possibly a Breaburn? This has developed orange spots on a few leaves this spring. I am hoping this might just be water shortage rather than rust as a result of the dry spring? 58137CA6-1FB3-45DA-9CBF-61535B24B0B2.jpeg

Neither tree has evidence of mites or aphids but I have found earwigs on them at night.

Thank you so much for any advice or opinions.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,957
    Hello, I think your trees have a touch of scab which is a fungal disease. Not surprising, really, given the wet winter. There are no approved treatments for fruit trees so all you can do is practise good hygiene, clearing up infected leaves and fruit and perhaps mulching fairly thickly over the ground under the tree canopy, but make sure the mulch doesn't touch the trunk.
    The other problem specifically with pears is Pear Midge. These little charmers lay eggs in the tiny fruits which then turn black and deformed and drop off. It's important to collect the dropped fruit to prevent re-infestation, which can wipe out the entire crop.
    Here are a couple of links which might help..Pear midge
    Apple scab and pear scab / RHS Gardening

3. Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
    Ratings:
    +755
    Old fruit trees can often have the odd leaf with signs of various diseases but can still be overall healthy and productive. My parents have a couple of old cooking apple trees that have lots of cankers and various markings on the leaves but still go on to produce a good showing of flowers and lots of fruit each autumn. I think you should just see how your trees get on over an entire season and follow the usual pruning advice in the winter of removing branches that are diseased, damaged or dying. Then with the branches that are left after that take out any that might be rubbing off each other and become damaged and any that will allow the tree have a more open structure to allow good air circulation to the centre of the tree. Leaves are not designed to stay on the tree forever and will naturally pick up a bit of ware and tare before falling off in autumn or even sooner. Posted a video of pruning one of my apple trees here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Em2019

Em2019 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you both so much. I am very grateful. They are beautiful old trees, so I am very glad they will be ok. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1