1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fruit tree dilemnas- mini orchard

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by j_robi, Apr 2, 2012.

1. j_robi

j_robi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am looking to create a mini orchard at the front of my campsite, but feel very out of my depth

I would love some advice:

I purchased mail order fruit trees, these-
    http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=2183

for £30 on groupon!

However they have arrived and are rather scrawny!

I have another area that I can plant these. But think I may be best to plant more established 2-3yr old fruit trees at the front of the campsite(so it doesnt look so new ie with stakes etc everywhere and baby baby trees)

My concern is that I do not want huge trees, but just want them to look a bit more mature. I've also heard that if 3 years old that they are less likely to survive when re-homed...is that right?

I would love some advice as to what 'rootstock' I need, what is the difference between MM106 and MM109?

Also, what combinations of fruiting tree types would you recommend to go together in terms of those that are self fertile and cross pollinating etc

Many thanks for any feedback

Joe