Fruit tree disease

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Quovadisuk, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Quovadisuk

Quovadisuk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good evening to you all ..Newbie here .. have two fruit trees one pear one apple but the apples this year are small and each one seems to have a woodworm hole in each apple ? The pear developed excellent fruit .. but the leaves are a bad rust colour and doesn’t look too happy … I am told that it’s because it’s near conifer trees (neighbours) and that can be the cause, but I don’t know if this is true … As we approach winter these leaves will drop and the fruit also … What can I do now and later to avoid the repeat next year please?

enc pictures

Attached Files:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,960
    Hello Quo, welcome to GC :) Make sure you collect up all the wormy apples and dispose of them thoroughly...i.e. don't put on a compost heap. You could try pheromone traps next spring. They attract the males of the moths responsible for maggotty apples (codling moth), they get stuck on the trap, no nookie so no larvae.
    If it's possible to slice along the boundary with a sharp spade to cut the conifer roots and possibly insert a vertical barrier, that would give your pear tree a better chance. Then if you feed and water it next spring, it will get the benefit, not the conifers! It's always worth collecting up fallen leaves from fruit trees as many fungal diseases and pests are harboured on them, so there's less chance of re-infection next year if they're cleared away.

• Like Like x 1