1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fruit tree pruning advice

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Matthew Holmes, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Matthew Holmes

Matthew Holmes Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with some pruning advice for the various fruit trees I have in the garden. The photos shown are:

1. Apple 1
    2. Apple 2
    3. Plum
    4. Cherry

My questions are:

a) when should I prune?
    b) how should I prune? I’d like them to grow quite tall, with no low hanging branches if possible.
    c) how do I help them grow?

Thanks in advance!

D95BD584-30E2-4D21-9C56-444E78D6E02D.jpeg
    FCBDB4E3-E2FC-4A3C-8794-00887D9F4CBE.jpeg
    F39EDE7F-3E45-40E2-A2C9-697428A4BE14.jpeg
    F296B4D2-B0D7-4283-BAA6-6E4B3B55DED4.jpeg

2. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I'm no expert but I believe the apples should be pruned in winter and the cherry and plum in summer during dry weather to minimise the chance of infection.

I'm not sure how to best prune to achieve the results you want. I suspect ideally you would have started with trees that were trained as half standard or full standard to give a more traditional tree like appearance.