Fruit trees- basic care

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kipwad, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Kipwad

Kipwad Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 1 pear, 1 plum and 3 apple trees all 2 years old. Had some nice fruit from the apples this year but not much else. some apples have been "got at", however , still pleased with my first efforts. Could really use some clear and simple advice, as to winter care and preparation for next year, what and when to spray etc.
    Cheers

2. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Kipwad,

Working with fruit trees, especially in order to make them more productive, can be a time consuming and skillful task. For instance, pruning fruit trees such as apples and pears depends greatly on whether your trees are 'tip-bearing', 'spur-bearing' or 'tip/spur-bearing'. I would suggest sourcing a book or two on fruit tree pruning and development, perhaps from Amazon.co.uk, as you will then have this information to hand as and when you need it through the year.

All the best,
    Matthew

3. Kipwad

Kipwad Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi Treesurfer
    Sounds a mite complex this fruit growing, probably a good idea to have a book to hand. Can you recommend such a book?

Cheers

4. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Kipwad,

I'm afraid I don't do much work with fruit trees and read even less fruit books. Honestly, it'll be just a case of searching online for one that suits your needs, or popping down to a local garden centre and getting some advice there. Good luck.

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5