1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Frustrating Rose plant

Discussion in 'Roses' started by andrew smith, Jun 14, 2020.

1. andrew smith

andrew smith Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bought a lovely rose tree about six years ago - had two years of beautiful and plentiful creamy white flowers. Now we get plenty of flowers but before long they go “mouldy” - we’ve tried ordinary Rose pesticide but no success - beginning to think we should dig up and start again. Apologies , not an experienced rose gardener and don’t have details of type of rose. Photos enclosed...

0209CBE8-7ECF-442C-83EE-438DB2DF3ED8.jpeg 1CB4A47E-4C88-49D9-9F84-2A6B7D750D76.jpeg 89204DED-CFDF-4AF2-9451-2D18AF37B91E.jpeg AE113C08-95FC-4DCD-93D2-EA45B198CBEE.jpeg

2. Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
    Ratings:
    +284
    Looks like botrytis blight to me. Can you see anything grey and fuzzy on the blooms?

3. andrew smith

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes - a sort of grey dampness inside the flowers which seems to turn rusty brown once dried...is that consistent with botrytis ?

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    Are you getting a lot of rain?

5. andrew smith

Ratings:
    +1
    No more than anyone else - west London - it has been like this for five years so doubt its weather related though I’m certainly no expert ...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      To me it looks like " balling ". That's when the flowers get excessively wet and the moisture just sits there and doesn't evaporate. It turns the flowers into " balls " of petals that can't open. Most common causes are either rain or being sprayed with a hosepipe etc. I am wondering if it's down to your watering methods, try not to get too much moisture on the flowers. Also, what I do after a lot of rain is gently shake the branches so any excess runs off.
      For now, just cut the flowering stems off as you would normally, say if you're deadheading or cutting them for indoor use.

I don't think it needs any sort of spraying at all, just careful watering

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
        Ratings:
        +284
        It is. Botrytis can cause balling, so it might be difficult to tell whether you need to spray or not.

Personally I would to be on the safe side, but it's really up to you. The more important thing is what @KFF said - deadhead promptly, and keep them well-spaced and dry. That's good advice for all roses really - there's at least 3 nasty fungal things that can happen to roses when they get too wet (botrytis, powdery mildew, and black spot).

What I would do is to treat the deadheading and any fallen matter as "infected", just in case - so clean it up quickly, don't put it in your garden waste bin, and burn it if you can. That way if it is botrytis, it won't spread.