1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuchias

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by petal, Sep 24, 2005.

1. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have lots of fuchias, non labelled and I'm in a bit of pickle because I can't remember which ones are hardy. Does anyone know how can I tell if a fuchia is hardy?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,639
    If its hardy it survives, if its not it dies.
    Seriously, although I'm not a great fushcia grower, the larger the flower the less hardy, also the large doubles are usually tender, I think. [​IMG]

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Without the name Petal, sorry, its impossible to tell - although as Pete says, the big doubles are rarely hardy.

Looks like you'll have to take cuttings from all of them just in case. They should root easily though at this time of year.

4. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    I know of no large doubles that are hardy and usually the hardy ones are red outer petals with either purple or red inner. Having said that I also have a beautiful long fingered salmon one that is hardy. Your best bet is to treat all that you have as tender and then next year any new hardies you have plant into the ground and any tender ones into pots which you can sink into the ground if necessary ready for lifting in the autumn. Good luck.

5. Frangipani

Frangipani Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    eek! I've got some doubles (white with massive light purple centers) and those new red with black (dark purple) centers that my horticultered best friend gave me for my birthday in a big pot on the patio.. I'll get the names when I get home..

How do I over winter with no green house? I did manage to get my fuchsia's (common ones bought in the super market) thru the winter last year with bubble wrap and fleece.. just tleft them on the patios in their pot..

will I be able to do that with my 'Garden News' that I've grown into standards?

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    You can overwinter most tender plants is you can protect them from frost/ice/snow, and with fuchsias, too much rain.

so after they have died back wrap and cover them and move them close to the house wall. Take cuttings for insurance, and you should be fine. [​IMG]

7. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your great advice. I'll take a few cuttings and hope for the best.

8. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    all standard fuchias even hardy varieties should be considered tender i have tried even in a mild winter and failed garden news is a beautiful fuchsia :D :D

9. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have known supposedly tender fuscias get through -10C although I wouldn't recommend it. They died right back but the roots survived deep ground frost and threw up new shoots once the soil warmed in early summer. If a standard lived you would end up with a low level plant and would have to train a new stem.

Give your large potted plants a good haircut and store them in a sheltered place protected with straw if you can get it. What you clip off can be rooted as cuttings and overwintered inside. Remember to label them though, it's easy to forget what you have where. The standard you will just have to hang baubles on, keep it in the hall and pretend it's a Christmas tree. :D

10. Frangipani

Frangipani Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    cheers... I need my big sister to move house quick! I live in a tiny flat (read jungle + too many house plants) there is no room for anything else... She must get a conservatory and a green house!

unless I turn the spare room into a very large green house! lol which my landlady (read mum) might not be too chuffed with..

I have grown 3 Garden News standards and have the double purples and black/reds in a 20" pot.. so no moving that indoors [​IMG]
    straw and fleece it is then!