1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuchsia cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by trelleck, Sep 17, 2010.

1. trelleck

trelleck Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not doing very well persuading fuchsia cuttings to root in trays of compost. I've now been told that many variety of fuchsias root easily in water, so I've put some in a clean jam jar filled with tap water. I'm now wondering whether I should be adding some form of nutrient to the water in order to improve liklihood of "striking". Any advice/experience would be welcome.

2. JanG

JanG Gardener

Retire
    Ratings:
    +0
    trelleck - I used to root fuchsia cutting by the dozen when I was back in England.

I just took pieces about 4 inches long, stuck them in a jar of water, and put them on a sunny windowsill. Didn't put anything in the water. Just kept topping the water up, it did get a bit green and smelly, but worked a treat.

3. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Either tips of the shoots or non flowering cuttings about 4 to 5" long, strip the lower leaves from the cuttings leaving just a couple of sets of leaves on top. Fill pot with cutting compost, push cuttings into compost up to the remaining leaves or, if tip cuttings, make indent into compost and build a ridge of compost around the cutting. Water in well (I always water AFTER planting.. just my way). Cuttings need to be covered to retain moisture (I use half a lemonade bottle). Keep cuttings cool but not cold, out of direct sunlight. I can usually get around 6 to 8 cuttings into a 5"pot.

That's the way I was taught to do it many years ago and it seems to work well for me so that's what I do. Keep trying :wink:

4. Colin J

Colin J Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would do exactly the same as jan G I get great results and super blooms like this.