1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuchsia cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Liz, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I don't know quite what I've done wrong tthis year. I bought some new fuchsias- basket trailers, hardy ones, giant ones. Some were quite tiny little plants and I tried to be patient and pinched them out to get strong growth, but even so I expected flowers before now. I tried Suttons, T&M, Van Meuwen and can't really recommend any of them. I also tried a firm new to me:-
    http://www.fuchsiaplants.co.uk/
    These people [Thornton's nurseries] charged less, supplied in ones and twos, and all their plants are flowering. They will get my custom next year!

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sorry to hear about all your trouble with your fuchsias my old ones and "new" young plants are doing very well and flowering like crazy!
    Helen.xxx.

3. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Quite a few of mine aren't flowering yet! :(

4. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I think all of mine are in flower now - both old and new.

5. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Luck of the draw, I think, Liz. I bought 15 plants from V.M. and they're all doing well. Been flowering for the last 3 weeks. Having said that, all the Fuschias are doing well this year, maybe they like the rain!! I don't.

6. Bluedun

Bluedun Gardener

Layabout
    Ratings:
    +37
    When you pinch out the growing tip in Fuchsias it takes 8-10 weeks for a single and 10-12 weeks for a double to flower.
    Entered a Fuchsia in the City of Wolverhampton show at the weekend and managed a 3rd place. This was a brand new cultivar called Mr Tom only a few plants are around at the moment. This plant was raised by Gordon Reynolds of the Black Country Fuchsia Society.

7. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Ah! It's probably my pinching out then. I should have some lovely flowers in September!
    Welldun, Bluedun!