1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

fuchsia cuttings?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gazania, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
    +204
    Hi all, anyone had any results from fuchsia cuttings? I tried last year but all failed. I did have success with lavender cuttings though. Not a lot but some did root.

Any views would be appreciated as to difficulty, when to take cuttings e.t.c.

Gazania

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Steve, not sure on the seeds let someone else answer that, cuttings are so easy, take several pieces from your fuchsia 5" or so below a leaf joint, take off any flower buds, push them round the edge of a pot, you can put a plastic bag or cut off bottle, over the top if you wish, I don`t . When you see signs of new growth you have rooted cuttings,

[​IMG]These are some I brought back from my friends in Norfolk, took them from the bushes on Thursday, travelled to my daughters on Friday, left them in water whilst there till the Monday, potted them on the Tuesday 16th July, and as you can see, some have rooted, some not. I will pot them up later this week in separate pots.But after that treatment some still rooted, they are so easy.

copied from the fuchsia thread.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
      +204
      Hi and thanks. Yes, easy is what I thought! I'm doing them this week so hopefully they will have some time to root. I will also winter them in a unheated greenhouse. They are in the greenhouse now hopefully covering them won't be needed.
      You've done well with those fuchsia's, well done.
      Gazania

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,518
      I'm not growing any at the moment but I've always started mine off in water and sit them on a window sill indoors. It takes a few weeks. :)

• Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
      +204
      Hi Sheal, so would you take cuttings now in August? And then after they have rooted in water and you pot them, where do you put them over winter?
      Gazania

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,518
      It is a little late, but if you have some softer growth still on them then give it a try. The cuttings don't need to be any bigger than two or three inches long. Strip off the lower leaves and pinch out any flower buds so that the cuttings concentrate on growing roots not flowers. In water they will take between 3 and 6 weeks to root, you can then pot them on and overwinter in either a greenhouse or somewhere cool like an unheated porch. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
        +204
        Thanks again, fingers crossed a couple may root.
        Gazania

• Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +827
        Good Morning Gazania I have had my fuchsia cuttings stared way back early in season and now starting again.
        I multi pot tip cuttings and let them grow to 3 leaves and pinch out my cuttings then let them grow on and keep doing this and keep turning my pot or container so cuttings grow at an even shape.

They take about 3 weeks to root.

But I on Sheal with this better with soft tip cuttings early in season .Mind you I still do have many soft tip and load of fuchsias in bloom.

And taking my fuchsia cuttings up to grow on in Glamis Castle walled garden restoration project which I am involved in.

In summer I leave my pots of cuttings under my woodland or sitting on top of a pot in a shady area where they can still get showers of rain. and yes have had fantastic cuttings.

But do remember to label your cuttings and don't let the cuttings dry out.

Good Luck:)

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        Covering is extra important in the greenhouse to stop evaporation. Do them in an airy mix too (ie; add extra grit/perlite to the compost) with added sand. Rooting hormone will improve your chances.
        Keep them out of direct strong sunlight.

How hot is the greenhouse getting?

• Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
        +204
        Blimey yes, I've forgotten to cover them!!! I'll see to that this morning, thanks.

The greenhouse isn't too bad with the heat. I have removed a glass pane or two and along with the automatic roof window this seems to keep things airy and not too hot.

thanks again, Gazania

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          suggest covering the pot with a plastic bag and putting it on an East or West facing windowsill (right at the South end so it is at its most shaded, particularly if you have the benefit of deep reveals on your windows).

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Gazania

Gazania Gardener

Ratings:
            +204
            Thanks, will do. So far so good. No signs of any wilting.
            Gazania

• Wobblycogs

Wobblycogs Gardener

retired Interloper
            Ratings:
            +73
            I use coffee jars to start them off. (Can't get the big round jars any more mind!) Put the pots in the lid of the jar and then screw the inverted jar into the lid. Make sure you refresh the air every day is all. I also had success with the large plastic pop bottles. Put your cuttings on a layer of wet gravel/sand. Cut the bottoms off the bottles and place them over the cutting and press into the gravel. Keep the screw-caps on, but unscrew them from time to time to refresh the 'atmosphere' . It certainly defeats the whitefly, until it's time to plant out or pot on at least!

Wobbly (John)

• Like Like x 1