Funeral Expenses Again.

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by hans, Aug 29, 2015.

1. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Always get this ad when opening Yahoo mail so I moved it to Windows Live Mail no ads. I mean I may be just turned 70 but there's more exciting things to think about Holidays, for one. WLM is quite old and is it Secure ?. When I put Gmail through it I had to change gmail security to a lower encryption.
    Any thoughts anyone.

2. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    To be honest, I don't have much faith in the 'free' e-mail addresses. I use googlemail - but wouldn't use it for any information which is particularly sensitive. All of the 'free' e-mail providers 'harvest' information from your e-mails to send you targeted adverts etc. In the end, its not really 'free'.

I moved from google to another more secure search engine - problem is that the search results were not as good as google.

At work we have 2 e-mail addresses - the normal one and a secure one. So even using your own server to send/receive e-mails does not guarantee privacy.

3. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Never thought about the harvesting bit. I do notice my browsing searches are used for marketing and pop up on other sites. Time for a secure email address. I realise I will have to pay for this but no ads would be so nice. I use Google for financial things so a bit worrying. thanks.