1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Funeral Plans..Sorry To Be Morbid..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kandy, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    We had a phone call the other evening from my eldest sister informing me that another of our older brothers had suddenly passed away.Evidently he had had a chest infection over Christmas so had been on antibiotics my sister thinks but not sure yet about details of what had actullay happened but by the time his house was broken into by the Police it looks like he had passed away when sitting in his chair which ironically is exactly the same way as our mum went:cry3:

My sister phoned today just to let us know a few details about where the funeral is going to be held as our brother actually lived 1 1/2 hours away from most of us.:sad:

Now my sister was saying that our brother had done one of those funeral plans so that side of it is sorted.

It started me thinking about one of these funeral plans as I have heard of a few people we know have got these but we don’t know how they work apart from you paying in a certain amount of money and then when you pop your clogs your funeral is paid so your relatives don’t have the worry of it all.:sad:

Does anyone on here have any idea as to how they actually work because if it is a simple procedure I might start one up for myself because if I ended up the last survivor of our life (Hopefully I shall go first then and don’t have the worry of it all) I want to make sure that I get my green burial but don’t want others to have to pay for it as I know that these things can be very expensive.

I know that it is a bit of a morbid subject but sometimes these things need to be talked about...Thanks:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      The most important thing is to sort out a will and power of attorney.
      Both my wife and I have made wills leaving everything to each other. Then to our kids in equal shares.
      We also hold each others power of attorney. Those named as alternates are our two kids.
      This means that in the event of the death of either of us the other will have access to any money we have and "the other half of the house," as it's in joint names.
      When the last of us pops our clogs, the first named child has the power of attorney. The other is "the back-up attorney" There'll be enough money to pay for the funeral and the estate will be shared by them.

Failure to have done that if one of us becomes incapacitated, particularly me (as it's me with the money!) would cause a lot of problems for my wife. Not so much me, as all she's got is lots of clothes, jewellery, a hell of a lot of toiletries and cosmetics and a lot of hobby stuff
      The kids are aware off the situation, so we don't have to give it another thought.(just keep taking the tablets).

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        "What Is A Green Funeral?
        The essence of a green funeral is age-old elemental simplicity. It rejects the so-called traditional funeral with its stuffy, Victorian, urban look, in favour of an outdoorsy, homespun, back-to-nature look. It prefers an unspoilt landscape to that of a regimented conventional cemetery. If it’s a look you like, natural burial is as lovely as it gets.

A green funeral
        Some of the more important elements of a green funeral are these:

rejects cremation

opts for burial in a site serving a conservation purpose

creates an environment which is not visually definable as a burial ground

reviles embalming

requires a coffin or shroud locally made from natural, sustainable materials

forbids demarcation of the grave

forbids marking or personalising of the grave with any sort of permanent memorial

forbids tending of the grave

It is not the grave that commemorates the life lived, it is the entire site.

Losing the plot
        Some burial grounds will let you mark the grave with a temporary marker, usually a wooden one. Others will let you mark the grave with a small, simply-worded stone marker laid flat. Some will allow nothing at all.

If you are considering natural burial you need to think very hard about this. Many people find it very difficult to lose sight of exactly where a person is buried.

Some are more beautiful than others
        Those natural burial grounds which permit a certain amount of gardening of the grave find it impossible to hold the line. Graves start to get cluttered with all sorts of memorial items: plaster figures, wind chimes, teddy bears, artificial flowers. You find bedecked graves next to unkempt graves – graves as nature intended. The burial ground begins to look like a shanty town of the dead.

The best look is probably the there’s-nobody-here look.

Choose carefully.

Green products
        You can green your funeral with one of a variety of ethically sourced coffins which are just as attractive to people who simply like the look of them. Have a look at the coffin page. You may prefer a lovely leaf shroud from Bellacouche.

If you like to source your goods locally, and entertain intuitive misgivings about willow coffins from Poland or bamboo from China, you may be relieved to find that their carbon footprint is often no greater than that of our homegrown ones.

Find out more
        The Natural Death Centre spearheads the UK’s back-to-nature burial movement. For more info and a comprehensive list of all natural burial sites, check out their website. There’s another little info website here.

Assess the environmental impact of your funeral: How green is my funeral?.

[​IMG]A very much fuller and more detailed guide to creating a green funeral appears in the Good Funeral Guide. Order your copy here."

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,890
        Sorry Kandy I can't really help you but you do need to be aware that a lot of companies that do do these plans you pay in for the rest of your life and only get a fixed amount back at the end of it, even if you've paid in more.

Sorry if i've taken this the wrong way but......

I thought Kandys original post was about Funeral Plans yet no-one has actually mentioned these in their replies !

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Well, because Kandy was specific about the type of burial she wants, KFF, I gave her the information on that kind of burial. I'm not sure that the standard Funeral Plans are suitable if Kandy doesn't want a surplus of money beyond the cost of the Green Burial which I believe is considerably cheaper than the standard Funeral. If she does want a surplus for other things then a standard Funeral Plan would suit her purpose.........and those she can easily get quotes for on the Net:lolpt::snorky:

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
          Ratings:
          +4,411
          I'm suspicious of these sort of funeral plans.

There's a lot of funeral companies out there all competing for business. If you buy a "plan" from any, it's likely that they aren't going to give you the best deal, they just tie you in to them.

It's a difficult time for the bereaved arranging a funeral and these companies know it. It might seem in poor taste to go ringing round different companies to get a quote, but it's common sense to do so.
          The usual ploy is to give you a quote, but then when the bill comes, you could find it loaded with extras, like gratuities for all and sundry. So I'd go through it line by line when it came.

We're fortunate that our kids are reasonably well off and could afford to pay the funeral bill before the granting of probate, when they'll be able to get at our cash (or what's left of it, but it will be enough).
          Funeral companies will be aware that the cash might not be readily available, but they know they're going to get it, even if the relatives can't get at the money straight away.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
          Ratings:
          +5,404
          With respect, I don`t really see that your post was especially helpful either KFF. Sometimes the answers can be found in simple conversation and friendliness.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,230
          Just on a technical point. Even without granting of Probate the funeral costs can be withdrawn from the estate. It's a fairly simple application :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 2
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,230
            There are lots of funeral plans and they're really just a simple insurance type policy. You need to shop around and read what they're offering for the price. Don't get taken in by their waffle and salesmanship. All it sounds as though you want is for your payments to be as little as possible in order to cover the costs of the funeral. There will be lots of add-ons for fancier things and you will have to make a decision on which you want.

It's similar to buying any other sort of thing, but just remain sceptical about the wonderful extras.

Green burials are a bit different because you need to decide how 'green' you want it. If you know of any green burial sites near you I would be inclined to visit them, see what they're like, and I'm sure they will have their own schemes for plans.

I know very little about them but the man who installed and used to service our burglar alarm was an ardent green burial man. He had even bought his own coffin (think it was made of willow) and was using it as a coffee table!

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,890
              When my dad died all we had to do was take any bills/onvoices to his bank and they issued cheques for us to send to the relevant people.
              This included things such as the electric/gas etc when we closed his accounts down and re-opened them for my mum, as well as all the funeral expenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,615
                Having just dealt with the not completely unexpected death of my father Ive been thinking about this too ; Doghouse is spot on & having a will is the most important thing to arrange; doesn't have to be complicated & will make everything so much simpler for the executors.

If you have a preference for type of service be sure to make it known too - arranging a funeral is fairly straightforward but its surprising how difficult questions like "what sort of coffin would you like" are to answer at the time & we still don't know what to do with the ashes. My Dad left us a 5 page letter with some details of his life / music to play / breakdown of bank accounts etc which was hugely useful - he also left us with 20 years of assorted statements & paperwork which was less useful as we have to read it before shredding :-)

Funeral came in around £3.5k for a fairly basic service @ the crem ; there are cheaper options & most definitely more expensive ones too! Dad had no funeral insurance that we know about so that should eventually come out of his estate once the probate is sorted, at the moment its come out of my savings.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
                  "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
                  Ratings:
                  +4,445
                  My late O.H. and I took out 2 of these plans in 2004, just the basic plan 1 each, when he died 2012 it paid out twice what he had paid in and under half the funeral costs, you are gambling on how long you live, as I was 5 years younger I will get more, pay out/cost is related to age at time of purchase. I have since, after paying his bill, topped them with 2 more, this should cover any funeral with some leeway yet, I have stipulated on my paper work suppplied, cheap as you can chuck my ashes on the garden.
                  They offer incentives, free pen :biggrin:, etc, if you take a low pay one say £12 a month that will pay around £2000+, you have to have paid in 2 years to receive full pay out, you will have paid in £288 after 2 years so about 14 years to achieve more in than out. They also offer shopping voucher incentives which can cover about 6 months of payments, as I do not own my property all I will leave is my possessions and any money in my accounts, hopefully enough to cover my funeral costs anyway, but circumstances change and I do not want my children burdened with expenses:old:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
                  • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +5,890
                    Hi @OxfordNick , you need to go and speak to his bank. As @shiney and myself have said you get all expenses etc straight from his estate. They have the invoices off you then give you cheques to give/send to the relevant companies/businesses/people.
                    (We even received a cheque for our local pub to put on some free drinks.)

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • shiney

Ratings:
                      +118,230
                      Funeral expenses should be paid out by the bank from the account of deceased. :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +118,230
                        Unless I'm misreading this then it appears to me that you may have made a mistake in your calculation. I guess that you multiplied £288 by 7 - which is correct - but it's 7 x 2 years, so 14 years. :)

• Like Like x 1