1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Further help please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by keentolearn, Jul 17, 2021.

1. keentolearn

keentolearn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I should begin by saying thanks very much for all the helpful replies I received to the thread I posted a few days ago. Your help allowed me to successfully identify 10 plants in my garden and this has fired my enthusiasm and appreciation for my garden. I have three further plants whose identity I' d very much like to learn please:
    1 Some lovely, pink/purple flowers
    IMG_20210716_133820.jpg
    2 A plant with large leaves which dies off in the winter and reappears every summer and grows from bulbs I believe. It does flower later in the summer IMG_20210716_134431.jpg

3 A ground hogging plant with thick, waxy leaves
    IMG_20210716_133744.jpg
    Thanks very much in advance to anyone who can help

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    • Like Like x 1
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,632
      Hi @keentolearn , it's always fun to try to identify plants so thanks for questions :blue thumb:

One ask if I may, can you please put something to give scale in the photos? Fingers, a can of Coke or similar? It makes identification very much easier when you can get an idea of the size.

(On that note, I recently took several photos around the garden to show plants I offer to propagate or give away, and someone timidly asked why I have so many tins of chopped tomatoes spread around my garden :biggrin: )

@Silver surfer has nailed it, but I'm not sure about the Lily of the Valley if it flowers later in the summer and is growing from bulbs. Then again, there could be autumn bulbs planted together with the LOTV creating some nice confusion. The foliage does indeed look like LOTV. Looking forward to see pics of the flowers.

• Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,254
      @Silver surfer has nailed it, but I'm not sure about the Lily of the Valley if it flowers later in the summer and is growing from bulbs. Then again, there could be autumn bulbs planted together with the LOTV creating some nice confusion. The foliage does indeed look like LOTV. Looking forward to see pics of the flowers.[/QUOTE]

IMG_20210716_134431.jpg

Lily of the Valley normally flowers in early May.
      By now the leaves are looking sad./beginning to be past their best.

Autumn flowering bulbs at this time of year the leaves will probably be dead and dried.

CONVALLARIA  MAJALIS  ROSEA 28-04-2009 12-14-42.JPG CONVALLARIA  MAJALIS 04-05-2007 14-45-59.JPG CONVALLARIA  MAJALIS 05-05-2007 10-21-49.JPG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    • keentolearn

keentolearn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks very much silver surfer and selleri. Actually, I was probably mistaken in saying that 2 flowers later in the summer - I should have said it does flower at some point. The leaves do look just like lotv so I'm sure silver surfer is correct. Thanks again for that. Thanks too for the tip about providing scale selleri - it makes a lot of sense.

• Like Like x 1