1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuschia Lady Boothby? Worth trying?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by WolfieKate, May 9, 2011.

1. WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Marketing, then Mum, then tbc!
    Ratings:
    +150
    For a trellis?

I have vacant spot in a large pot once housing a passion flower and 11 chafer grubs!:heehee:

I wondered if anyone had tried this one. :what:

Thanks Kate

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,669
    Always worth trying! Hardy and climbing (although needing support); so yes, get potting;)

• Like Like x 1
    • WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Ratings:
      +150

I already have clematis, honey suckle and potato vine at the front so wanted to try something new. :)

• Grumpy

Grumpy Gardener

Ratings:
      +59
      I'm glad you didn't describe it as a climbing Fuchsia - as I've mentioned before, my aged parent goes into one when hearing that! T&M you've got a lot to answer for!! According to her it can't climb as it don't have any suckers or stickers or whatever there called, it just grows long and therefore tall. As Loofah said it will need supporting.

My experience was not too great, but don't let that put you off. When I first started with Fuchsia plugs I managed to kill half by overwatering and having them next to a window in the kitchen, by the oven! I ended up with 4 of my 12 Lady B's, but I think I planted them out too early, for although they grew to about 6' that summer, and although hardy,I don't think the root system had developed enough on my ones and I didn't add any protection against the frosts for their first year, so they didn't happen the following year.

Still you know your onions, so looking forward to some pics later on in the year. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Ratings:
        +150
        Thanks Grumpy

Ok so I have ordered! I am not a big fan of fuschia but father in law has given me three this year so I have planted 2 in pots and one in a bed. We shall see how I get on with Lady Boothby too. :heehee: Not grown fuschia before except the odd one in a hanging basket.

• snilwar242

snilwar242 Apprentice Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1
        Lady Boothby is tall, leggy, and doesn't really do much other than reach for the sun. Boring!!!

• Like Like x 1
        • WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Ratings:
          +150
          Thanks for that. :) It seems that this plant is much oversold when described by sellers... I shall see how I get on! I have a spare spot for it so I shall view it as an experiment... if it doesn't work out I shall be ruthless :heehee:

I am still waiting as June dispatch which reminds me I must chase up.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Hi kate
          mine was also tall and leggy ,and also died in the first winter ! T and M do tend to push the boundaries of truth . But you never know , yours may be a success - good luck .

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,320
          I have got to agree , loves a greenhouse though .

I have 3 examples grows in my mums , mine and my brother house , the only one to flower well and survive this bad witer was at my mums house.
          How it survived I dont know but the few flowere it has my mother loves it
          but me and my brother arnt bothering again

Spruce