Gallup weedkillers.

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by silu, Jun 9, 2018.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I use Gallup instead of Roundup. Pretty much the same and not so expensive. I don't use much weedkiller but there are sections of heavy infestation of Dock, Field Buttercup etc in the field which need a bit of controlling. I use a broad leaf for some areas and Gallup where I want everything gone. I am nearly out of the 5ltrs I bought about 10 years ago! I have been looking on the net and now there are various professional strength Gallups available. I haven't a clue which 1 to buy. The 1 I have is 360. Does anybody have an idea of what are the differences in the different varieties?

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      • Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,653
        The difference can only be the amount of glyphosate per Litre as Harry says. Obviously the more concentrated the more expensive. As far as I can make out by looking at the product label online, Harry is right, the 360 stand for 360 grammes per litre which is very strong. You already know you use much less when you dilute it hence why you got your last 5L to last for 10 years.

• Like Like x 1
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Oh many thanks @Harry and @JWK . I'll just stick with what I know then. None of us like using weedkillers but sometimes there is little option and used sparingly and carefully they do serve a useful purpose. I don't know if you have used it but Pistol is a very good residual weedkiller. I only use about 1 sprayer (7lts) a year on the driveway. I've found you only need to apply once per year. I have a ltr bottle of it which must be oh gawd 8 years old and I've only used about 1/2 of the bottle. Lucky as it is damned expensive. A 5ltr container of it costs about £170:yikes: but again it is extremely effective so "you pays yer money....." I found it after Pathclear stopped being in sachets which were good. The "improved" (my backside) version was less than useless I found anyway and was quite expensive so did some homework and found Pistol as a considerably better alternative and because it actually works it probably is cheaper in the long run than Pathclear.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,259
            The difference is that different herbicides have added chemicals that aid the break down of cells, rainfast, drift avoidance and so on. All are covered by the pestercide laws and if you look at many they are more environmentally unfriendly compared to domestic products.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,398
            Is it possible to buy professional products then?
            I tried to buy an insecticide some years ago and the local suppliers wouldn't sell it to me.:scratch:

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,259
            You can but the end user must be trained in accordance with the law. Some places though will not as they have tightened up on the law over the last few years.

• Informative Informative x 1