1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden clock suddenly failed

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by docjohn, May 28, 2015.

1. docjohn

docjohn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a battery-operated wireless-controlled clock on my garden shed, a present from five years ago. Two weeks ago, it suddenly stopped.

I've changed the battery twice but still hands don't move. The battery terminals in the case are quite clean. The hands, glass and electronics are all in a sealed unit so it's unlikely to be corrosion of the mechanism, but...I can't get inside, even if I knew what to look for. I can't imagine what's gone wrong.

I've checked with the NPL and the time signal is still going. The clock is Chinese-made but the instructions say that Precision Clocks Ltd in England made the mechanism so I sent them an email but got no reply, other than an acknowledgement that they received the email.

I think that five years is rather a short lifetime for this clock. I've no idea what it cost but I'd guess £80 or so. Do I get another one and hope for the best or do I pursue Precision Clocks?

2. Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
    Ratings:
    +238
    Frustrating. I assume the batteries have been changed befor without any issue. It might be worth checking the mechanism that allows manual movement of the hands. It's normally not pushed in or broken off.

3. docjohn

docjohn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm afraid there's no access to the hands as they're sealed in between the glass and the backing plate. I don't want to break this seal if it's not necessary. There's no knob on the unit to adjust them. Normally a new battery gets the hands going to 12 o'clock, then the clock "waits for time to catch up". However, not now!