1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

garden feature suggestion wanted

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lady Gardener, May 20, 2007.

1. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i am currently forming a grass path looping round the rhoddies and would like to place a feature at the apex of the path so it can be seen all year round from both starting point .... a nice BIG statue is too expensive, any ideas please

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi LadyG. I think you have stumped us. A statue is so obvious that it is difficult to think of anything else. But here goes, a plant or tree (Medlar - old and gnarled from new): A lamppost (you can get them): an old fashioned signpost (go out into the countryside and pick your own!): a mirror obolisk (not impossible - a wooden frame and you can buy mirrored glass cut to shape); a plant obolisk (very cheap - with say something white growing up it); a big statue (expensive); a small statue standing on a plinth (cheaper); an urn on a plinth; or just a wheeliebin.

As it is for visual effect, you need to get your proportions right. Without knowing your garden, I would consider a small statue on a plinth. Being small it will make your garden look bigger. But you must have the plinth in proportion to the statue.

[​IMG]

In my own garden I wanted a little extra height so I put a small stature on an upturned pot, which stood on a (buried) slab. They fit quite well, considering they are unrelated.

[​IMG]

There are many straight sided pots. The one above was �£5 from Morrisons (special offer). You could have one on top of another - and fill them with earth for solidity. Or you could even make your own from bricks. But big bricks could look out of proportion with a small statue.

3. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I brought a large piece of driftwood back from the beach, it creats an interesting focal point standing in one of my borders (and cost me nothing)

You could DIY - I like Peter's idea of making a brick plinth - you could build a tower (not necessarily of brick) - grow plants in gaps, or have a go at stone carving yourself - or how about some chainsaw sculpture on an old trunk? A good rummage about a salvage yard may well prove fruitful, I think the key is in being open minded! Is a water feature out of the question?

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    How about an arch they are inexpensive at wilkinsons then you can have climbers to each side.
    jasmine, Montana rubens clematis looks outstanding draped around an arch

5. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    mmmmmmmm i have moved my customers redundant garden swing to the middle point of the path and planted roses up it, it was supposed to be ren and white roses but due to labelling error it is crimson and vermillion, not sure of the exact colours but they are different reds!

6. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Using the swing was an inspirational idea! [​IMG] [​IMG] I have also planted red and white Roses against my arch and even though they are still only small the effect is very good.