Garden/Field Boundary

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Monty33, May 5, 2019.

1. Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I've moved into a new property with a great field view, the downside being the other side of the boundary fence is a solid strip of invasive brambles, nettles & cleavers which constantly both block the view and pop up non-stop on the garden side.

There are horses in the field but an electric fence has been set up about a metre from the boundary to keep them from the garden perimeter. However this leaves a no mans land strip where these weeds thrive.

How would you tackle this situation? I'm assuming weedkillers are out due to the close proximity of the horses!

20190505_154226.jpg

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,964
    Hello Monty33, What about a strong glyphosate solution (not ready-mixed!) followed by a recognised product for deterring horses? Horse Cribbing & Anti Cribbing Products | Hyperdrug
    You might need to treat the brambles 2 or 3 times before they give up...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,124
      Hi @Monty33 have you spoken to the landowner.? I would have thought that would be the best place to start.. I certainly wouldn’t use weed killer with out consulting them first... It might be a better idea to talk to the landowner direct as you may be able to come to an amicable agreement.. As I don’t think the horse owners would be happy about the weed killer.. A lot of us don’t use weed killer and do not like the use of it near our property or animals.! :SUNsmile:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        I certainly have no intention of weedkilling without permission and even with permission I'd be nervous near someone else's horses.

I have spoken otherwise with the tenant of the land but not the owner but haven't raised this scenario.

I wanted to have a plan of action to suggest before doing so ... one being to strim the weeds to ground level and lay a metre wide strip of plastic in the deadzone with some bricks to hold it down .... if they were open to that. This would improve the situation but would be easily removed if there was any issue.

But obviously I am here to find any other possible solutions I haven't thought of or considered.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Hi Monty. Legally you have the right to cut down destroy etc any plant vegative member substance that encroaches upon you property. Now let's try and establish some kind of map or diagram.
        Working from your photos. and this you have to be able to prove. The boundary fence. Is that constituted as being, 'YOUR' fence of that of the farmers or field owner.
        If it is deemed yours and it can be proved that the fence is actually on YOUR land. Then you have the legal right to cut away etc all vegitation upto the fence. Should you decide to use a weedkiller then make sure you spray, apply only from your side of the fence. Trust me. When push comes to shove. If your opponent wishes to splash out the dosh. Science can determine and prove much of your actions.

When problems arise between neighbours, it can get ugly and very very costly. Where animals enter the equation, animals are not as dumb as we think.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +20,951
        I think I would go with regular strimming along the strip between the fence and the electric fence. Frequency will come down as you get control.

• Agree Agree x 4
        • Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
          +3
          I suspect you're right NigelJ, probably the simplest and most easily agreeable option. I just wanted to see if anyone came up with something inspired I hadn't thought of.

Appreciate the thoughts Mike Allen but this is a small friendly community and I'd rather not venture down any controversial avenues!

• Like Like x 2
          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097

No problems Monty. Hope all turns out well. Best wishes.