1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden refuse Bins

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by rosietutu, Jan 16, 2015.

1. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    Our council will provide a green garden refuse bin for a fee of £31.50 yearly
    Arriving in March and emptying it every fortnight until November.
    I did order one as making a trip down to the tip is just to much for this old gel to deal with, and with no facilities ie very tiny garden no room for a compost bin.
    Does any one else have these facilities and or having used them?

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,608
    No we haven't got that scheme here Rosie. Ours will only take away household rubbish, so it means a twelve mile round trip for me to the amenity site, although I compost what I can.

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    We have had the green bins for garden waste for years. They are supplied at no extra cost on our 3 bin system . They collect every other week all through the year , very little waste in January though. Its amazing how quickly these huge bins can be filled , and how heavy they can get !

• Agree Agree x 4
    • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,523
      Ours are fortnightly March to November, you can have up to 4 bins per household free. We have 2.
      My mum and dad in Derby were asked for £55 a year so they put theirs (mostly grass cuttings) on a compost heap now.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,493
      All councils are different. As we're in a rural area the council realise that garden waste is going to be a major problem. So they provide a green wheelie bin free of charge. It's collected every week. They have, recently, said unwrapped cooked food can also be put in (including meats).

They allow us to apply for a second free bin but we have to comply with a stringent inspection first. An inspector came out with a two page questionnaire that she had to fill in. She toured the garden, noted down the type of plants, trees etc. and how many (roughly).

She said the most important part was checking how much recycling we do already. She told us that we do much more recycling than the rules need so that we can have a second bin - and she told us that we are the only ones in the area that have satisfied their regulations. :hapydancsmil:

I asked for a third bin but she said the rules don't allow it. So we use our neighbour's bin (with his permission) :heehee:. He just has lawn, conifers (specimen ones) and some shrubs and privet. All his stuff is put on the compost heap or burned.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,239
        Ours charge £40 a year , collection is fortnightly, except for Christmas & new year weeks.
        Those of you who have a free collection don't really as it's included in your council tax, just means that everyone pays something towards it even if they don't have a green bin.

• maria

maria Gardener

Ratings:
        +864
        we have them at no charge

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,631
          I didnt realise how different it all is in different areas

Solihull council provide a green bin at no extra charge and collect fortnightly from march till november.

You can pay for an extra wheelie bin and the extra collection of it or you can pay extra to have your wheelie bin collected all year. But it costs a fair bit

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,493
          We also have another facility.

Every Sunday from April to November a council compactor lorry tours the villages in the area and you can bring green waste to it - free of charge. Each village has a set time and place for the lorry. :blue thumb:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,608
          Having read the other posts I'd like to add that we are free to recycle (take away) anything that goes to our amenity sites. A lot of our major garden rubbish is sent to the islands incinerator.

• merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,087
            We get one for free (it's got a rather fetching pink lid on it). The 'green bin' is the only of the four bins (one for waste, one for paper and another for tins/glass) which gets collected weekly. You're also encouraged to put food waste in it. I guess they are trying to encourage people not to put food waste in the bin hence the weekly collection.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,161
            I wish that councils would talk amongst themselves and come up with some consistency regarding the colours of bins and what goes in what. I know this would be difficult but consistency in the frequency of collections would be good too. We often stay in holiday cottages and try our best to recycle, but usually the owners leave vague or no information about what bins to use and when to put them out. We stayed in a cottage on the Isle of Wight for two weeks and couldn't fathom where, when or how to put the recyling out, we put it all out each day just in case but at the end of two weeks nothing had been collected, my guess was it just went to landfill in the end :(

Sorry off at a tangent.

• Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
              Ratings:
              +246
              Our council collects garden waste every 2 weeks through the whole year, just missing 1 week at xmas.
              An additional bin can be ordered for free, alternatively you can arrange collection of "green" sacks free with the council too.
              I have good neighbors too though, if I need a bit more room then they let me fill theirs up :)

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              I take garden refuse from 3 neighbours for composting/grass cuttings for mulching, shreddings for mulching, or otherwise unusable stuff for bottom of compost heap drainage/burning for spreadable ashes.

I take them free of charge and I'm grateful for it, but perhaps I should charge them say £25 p.a.?

• Funny Funny x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,992
                I pay extra for a garden bin, noit sure off hand how much, about £30 or so.
                Its collected once every two weeks, except over Christmas.

I can remember when you just put your rubbish in a bin and the dustman walked right down the path to pick it up, now days, if its not in the exact spot designated, (out in the road and a hazard to blind people), they pass you by.

As to the disgusting collection of waste food once a week?
                In summer its a maggots free for all, not that it bothers me too much.

• Agree Agree x 1