1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

garden wall and plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Elizabeth13, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hello all, long time no see.

Looking for some advice.
    Got a wall, usually quite sheltered at the ground most the day (possibly all day). It's Sheffield terrace garden ground, so quite thick and rubbly.
    Now, I planted two clematis this year by the wall to climb up the wall. Both have flowered this year, but remain very sticky and not much foliage - now they have both finished flowering. I can't remember the names, but both fairly large blooms and I think one is a double (starts off bloom looking one way, then changes as it ends). Is this normal for the first year do you think? Or are they struggling?
    My other clematis are both older so established, and I can't remember how they begun now haha!
    I also planted a foxglove on the ground level, but the leaves are going discoloured - is this due to some problem also, or did it perhaps just dry out?

Any tips our advice welcomed.

I'm also going a bit rose mad, so decided to get rid of the lawn by my fence and plant three roses along the fence - they should love it as it's opposite side to the wall so gets a lot of sun. Any tips for planting them out? I've only had container roses thus far.

Also, anyone got a big solanum crispum whatsit like me that's turned into a monster? Are they good to cut back quite harsh at the end of season? Mine needs some serious redesign with its look!

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Elizabeth, did you plant them directly at the base, or a foot or so away as recomended when planting at the wall base, the wall will stop the plant getting adequate water and if loads of rubble nutrients could be in short supply.

3. Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
    Ratings:
    +121
    Hi Pam,
    No, my mum (gardener) was with me and helping, and she did make sure I planted it just off away from the wall ☺
    I did hope it would be a good spot as they trend to like the roots shady?
    Perhaps I need to give them a bit of a feed to help them a little?

4. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Yes I think it would help.