1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garden Waterlogged Due To Neighbour Watering Grass Daily

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Matthew Fisher, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Matthew Fisher

Matthew Fisher Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

First post so please bear with me.

Currently in the process of putting in a large decking area where I have had to dig out an existing garden border so that it is level with the existing patio, where I have installed support posts as well as dug some deck perimeter posts in also. Everything was going well until some new neighbours have moved in next door and have decided to drench their grass every night for god knows how many hours highlighting a clear drainage issue where some of my decking posts have been installed, their garden is approximately 300mm higher than mine. Fortunately I have dug my posts to a depth of 750mm with 150mm pea shingle in prior to the posts being installed with postcrete, however I do not want the surrounding soil to be constantly saturated due to their excessive watering. I have temporarily dug a channel to a nearby gutter drain which has allowed for the excess water to drain away. I am looking for a permanent fix in order to lay the remaining decking without the constant worry of the ground being saturated. My current though it to buy some galvanised metal roof sheets and install them overlaid to a depth of 600mm along the fence perimeter whereby keeping their excess grass water in their garden rather than draining into mine.
    Please see attached photos.

Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,610
    Welcome to the forum!

First thing I would do is go next door and welcome them and then after a little conversation mention your predicament. They may not be aware that they are wasting water because it is running off into your yard. Maybe you can save them some money and build goodwill at the same time :).... and eliminate your problem too!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi and Welcome to the Forum,

Do not think there is any practical way to stop excess water coming into your garden if its 300mm lower.

Using roofing sheets will just be a waste of time and money and the water will just work its way around, under or over them.

To us, the best way would be to dig a trench the length of that border and make it a full length drain.
      You can buy lots of different land drainage hoses these days or even use gravel.
      As long as you have somewhere for the water to drain to.

However have to mention that think its not allowed to let such surface water to go into a gutter type of drain. Could be a problem if the council found out / a blockage etc.

Also have to say that the ground by your house looks very clayish so it easily causes any water to puddle /fill up like that, which might be just normal water run off from your lawn etc.

As @CanadianLori has just said, do try and engage with them,let them know too much water can equally ruin a lawn, if they have a water meter they might be in for a shock !

000362.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1