1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Garden weeds ID please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Professor Green, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Professor Green

Professor Green Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I have moved into new house with a big garden and need to identify a few things! I have tried googling but not completely sure so need a bit of help thanks

1. This garden weed has a thick, dense, low lying mat in a shaded area under a tree and is spreading out into the grass. The leaves in this picture are <5mm across really so very small. I can literally scrape it up with my hand it is so shallow. It may match the description of chickweed but I'm not sure. Can I just scrape it away, aerate the soil and plan some grass seed ? Photo 1(7).jpg.

2. This probably isn't a weed, more planted in the bed by the previous owner. It is nice but gets out of control easily. Probably more of it than I would like in the garden... Photo 2(8).jpg

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,269
  3. scillonian

scillonian Gardener

Ratings:
    +238
    think you have the description and the photo's the wrong way round.

The pink flower is an herbaceous Geranium, not sure what variety. The other is mind-your-own-business, Soleirolia soleirolii. Looks like the golden form that they annoyingly, sell in garden centres. It can get quite rampant and is then difficult to get rid of.

4. Professor Green

Professor Green Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks everyone! I'd does seem to be the mind your own business, I hadn't come across it so thanks.

Didn't realise that was a Geranium either. You can tell I'm new... :)