1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardener recommendations.

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by HolyBucket, Mar 21, 2010.

1. HolyBucket

HolyBucket Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've recently moved to Selsdon in South Croydon and am having trouble finding a gardener. The one's I've tried so far are either too busy already or don't get back to me. It's only a small garden - maybe this is why. My back garden is about 12m/35' square. Front garden has no lawn - just about 15m/45' of beds. I work 6-7 days a week so cannot do them justice.

The work will be an initial tidy-up followed by regular maintenance. I've got money to pay for it but just cannot find anyone.

Any recommendations?

Kind regards,
    Jason.

P.S. I'll even trade for it. I'm a computer security & network engineer and not found a problem I cannot fix yet.

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Just a thought is there any active pensioners nearby, try putting a card in Post Office, local shop ,or newsagents.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: I agree with Pam... Put up a "Wanted Gardener" advert in your local newsagents of evening paper perhaps.... It is a cut thoraot world but you never know... Just be prepared fpr the odd time waster, but I am sure you will find somebody.. Or of course put a wanted add on Gum Tree.... I am sure you will get some replys.... :wink:

4. happymundays

happymundays Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  5. Colin J

Colin J Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    advertise for a couple to garden who dont have one that always gets reliable gardeners.

Dont forget there are gardeners and those who can potter.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    A "Experienced gardener wanted" card at your local post office will get you what you want.

7. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I had the same problem but then I stumbled upon a young man who just wanted to do some additional work now and again. He does 2 hours every other week for £20 and is very good though I do have to teach him a few gardening things here and there! He now cuts my neighbour's grass as well. I think you just need to ask around - sometimes the most unlikely people know of someone.

But he was the third chap I tried. First one did a couple of weeks and then fell off the planet and the second one was good but expensive and he pulled up all my young purple sprouting broccoli plants on his final visit one October! He was lucky he never came back! [​IMG]

8. landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915
    I would try the local University lads or lasses, My son is now doing Animal behaviour at ARU in Cambridge which gives him some extra time to volunteer for people who need your kind of help.
    Good luck with this.

9. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Hi landimad, Welcome to GC, I bet HolyBucket, who asked the question has now got it sorted, may I suggest you look at the date the post was made. It was made way back in 2010, and we will never know the outcome because if you also look at the post count, HolyBucket only made the one post, never to be heard from again.

10. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    As far as I'm concerned, I'm quite pleased that gardeners are so scarce. ;-).

If I were you, I'd go and look at the cards in the local newsagent, and if you don't see what you want then write your own one.

I would not pick a young person, unless you just want basic donkey work doing. They won't know anything about plants and will end up pulling up your precious seedlings, as Daisees found.

Likewise, beware of the slash and burn garden clearance merchants. They will raze precious shrubs to the ground because they won't know any different.

Pick a sensible, reliable, seasoned gardener of mature years (Ahem), with a wide knowledge of plants and plant care. I know one of those but not in your area.

11. landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915

:dunno: I am not worthy :love30:

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Easily done, when I first joined I replied to an ancient post in the id forum, something to do with the new posts not being visible at the time:DOH: