Gardeners Question Time in GC

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by Daisies, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Having given this some thought, I decided to post a poll to see how much support there is for this amongst the membership at large. We have around 200 members with 100+ posts, so I would suggest that 10% or 20 yes votes would be a reasonable number to show interest. The negative votes will be subtracted from the positive vote.

I see this as a separate forum inside General Gardening Discussion whereby the list of questions will be posted as a sticky, any member who is prepared to be put on the spot will paste them into a new thread and wait for members to come and read his/her replies and/or ask other questions.

This means the question time will be self generating and require little or no overseeing from anyone.

The questions would be something similar to this though participants could remove or replace one or two if they wished

1. How did you come to join Gardeners Corner?
    2. Name the countries or counties you have lived in …
    3. Describe the type of work you do.
    4. Describe how you first got into gardening …
    5. What would be your dream type of garden and do you think you will ever be able to achieve it?
    6. Have you any particular favourites in celebrity gardeners, flowers, shrubs and/or vegetables?
    7. Have you ever entered any of your plants into shows?
    8. If you had a garden created in your memory, what plants do you think would most adequately sum up you and your life?

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    A great set of questions Daisees and I for one would certainly be able to answer all of them with more than a one word answer. Defintely in favour if it.

And thanks for arranging this :)

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    They are great questions-especially the last one.

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    Shouldn't we ask things like:

What has been your biggest gardening challenge?
    Describe your most catastrophic error?
    Tell us about your biggest success?

I also think we could ask this one:
    If your garden was going to be destroyed and you could rescue only one of your plants, which one would you save and why?

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    The questions would be something similar to this though participants could remove or replace one or two if they wished

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Let's face it, we're all nosey and a couple of questions that aren't too intrusive about your personal life might be very interesting.

I like the option of removing or replacing questions, or maybe adding a couple if you and the interviewee are amenable?

7. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,594
    I think its all good, especially since we can add or remove questions. I guess if the questions are just there as an outline, we could effectively end up just interviewing ourselves.

I see no problem with it. Anyone who isn't keen idea can simply ignore it.

Here's an idea, and I don't know if this is possible or if it would be of interest even if it is possible, but I'll say it anyway. What if the new section was excluded from the 'New Posts' search? That way if it is a big success and gets tonnes of responses, they won't flood out the search results page when you hit 'New Posts'.

8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,290
    Good idea. It could even be expanded into questions that you need not answer if you don't want.

Have you ever won any awards, gardening or not?
    Do you have a favourite holiday destination?
    Have you ever met a famous person? If so, what did you say to them/ were they friendly etc?
    There must be lots of questions that the answers can be of interest to members.

We obviously can't make the list too long but if it is too short it may still be boring.
    Or we could have it in two separate parts. One thread/section for the basic questions and another with more questions that can be answered separately if you wish.

Am I getting too complicated? I have no experience of website interviews but have had a personal interview where the interviewer knew what sort of questions would draw out good answers - without having done any research on me. Some people are so clever :hehe:

I don't mind which sort of thread we have. It will be there for people that wish to answer the questions. It may generate a further thread.

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    My take on all your suggestions is that it steers the 'Question Time' into a one post thread! I rather envisaged it being an ongoing 'conversation' where a person who was willing to reveal stuff about themselves would use the copy/paste quiz as an opener and then other members would come in and ask anything they wanted.

And there wouldn't be an off-topic on it so you could even ask them how many times they'd moved house or if they have a professional qualification, which associations they belonged to (such as National Trust or Ramblers Association) or what kind of car they drove. Anything, see?

And the interviewee could also add a post of information themselves, perhaps describing an interesting visit they had somewhere or how they made their own greenhouse from scrap!

I also thought that each thread could be named "Question Time with Daisees" or something similar.

10. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Or even "Question time with Gardeners corner" thereby including the members into asking questions.

Steve...:)

11. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,290
    Daisees, great suggestion for content :yho:

Steve, I like your title :thumb:

12. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,879
    Looks like this could be a winner :thumb:

13. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,594
    Daisees-badgirl-sock suggestion. When you say it could be called 'Question Time with Daisees', I take it you mean 'Question Time with <whichever user is being grilled>'?

14. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    :roll:

"Question Time With <insert name>"

:lol:

15. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Does anyone actually have the user name of "insert name"??