1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardener's World

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I know this subject has been covered several times here before, ad nauseam, but I caught the tail end of it this evening. Jesus wept! Talk about dumbed down TV - example, how to find lupin seeds? And who on earth is that scraggy looking female presenter?

I know it probably introduces people to gardening which is a good thing of course, but does it have to be so lowest common denominator? Please tell me the rest of the programme(s) isn't quite so simplistic.

Sorry, rant over.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I stopped watching it when Alan Titchmarsh packed it in.:gnthb:

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I think that's probably when I last watched it too!

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I don't mind it catering for very basic beginners-I still have things to learn. Patronising people is not on, thankfully that seems to be gone ( along with that ice cream van good riddance) but some people really do need to learn from the bottom up because they haven't ever been shown.

I like it better than last season.

And on a county note-beautiful place is Lancashire !!:)

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,496
    I don't watch Gardeners' World so don't know which presenter you are referring to but I guess it may be Carol Klein.

In May a coachload of gardening enthusiasts, including Mrs shiney and myself, spent a wonderful week in Devon touring a number of gardens (luxury coach, good hotel with excellent food :thumb:).

We visited Carol Klein's garden (everyone seemed to know she was the presenter of GW - except us :)) and, after the visit, everyone voted it a total waste of time :(.

All the other gardens we visited were superb :gnthb:.

6. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,883
    Good morning everyone.Oh dear ,Oh dear I enjoyed it :help:it must be my age :hehe:,but then I enjoy all gardening programmes and just love talking and listening to other gardeners:)

7. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Yes. Carol is a bit of a Gummidge :hehe:. At least Rachel de Thame looked nice. But then she annoyed people by being too perfect and always wearing gloves whenever she had to do something icky.

8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,496
    So was her garden :rotfl::rotfl:

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Stopped watching it when jolly Jeff sadly passed away.

10. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Oh dear Aaaron, Carole Klein is not a "scraggy looking presenter" but a true gardener. I've met her a couple of times an she's charming and she knows what she's talking about.

When I told her I'd followed her TV career since she started on Channel 4, she said "Oh yes. That was when we were doing proper gardening".

I think she tries to bring some maturity (in gardening terms) to her presenting, but I suspect that she has to do and say what the producers tell her, rather than how she would like to do it. So blame them!

Chris

11. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Unfortunately there seems to be general view in television at the moment that the only way to attract and keep viewers is to produce tosh. Soon Gardeners' World will have guest appearances from Ant and Dec saying things like: 'now Carol, what exactly is a seed? Or: 'for new viewers, soil is this brown stuff I'm standing on'.

12. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,883
    In Defence of Carol Klein:hehe::flag:
    Winner of 6 Chelsea Gold Medals
    She writes for the Guardian,has written quite a few books,also has her own Nursery,and looks great for (born 1945)
    Carol's garden is a south-facing slope on heavy clay. She's been gardening there for about 25 years. "There's never been a grand design," she says. "It's just evolved over time and I'm always making changes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    Thnaks for that Woo.:thumb:

Chris

14. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,168
    I haven't watched GW for a long while, but every time I've seen Carol I've got to say she is full of enthusiam and seems to know her stuff. Obviously Rachel De Thame is easier on the eye, but we need a few scraggy oldies to even things up :lollol:

15. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Shiney,It is a pity that you didn't see my posts that I put up on here a few times stating that Carol Kleins nursery was run down.We tried to find it when we visited my sister a few years ago and in the end had to ask at the local Tourist Info centre who told us that quiet a few people had visited her nursery and had found it to be run down.We got as far as the entrance and found it was shut as it was Easter time so never did get to see it for real.

The problem with all these celebrities,is that they spend so much time travelling round the country and to far flung places that they have to employ people to look after the stuff while they are away,so they don't actually do the gardens for themselves.We only have to go away for a weeks holiday and we come back to find the place getting overgrown and after two weeks being away it is even worse.

The best gardens we ever visited was Clacks Farm at Ombersly owned by Arthur and Riet Billit{sp},everything was immaculate,but sadly the land has been sold off since their passing and a house now stands there instead:(