1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardeners World

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by moyra, Oct 12, 2012.

1. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Living in a rented property and having to keep so many of my favourite plants in pots in case I have to move, I always find Gardeners World leaves me wanting so much. When I was married and we had a garden of an acre on the side of a Nursery I had every conceivable plant and shrub in there you could imagine shame I couldn't change the man in my life rather than the garden. You can only love so much though..........

Does Gardeners World leave you wanting?..........

2. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,297
    Oh yes, only I could not afford the twenty gardeners to keep it up to scratch for me

I would then pop out on Friday to say how wonderful my tomatoes were this year
    flash my Rolex watch and use my German tools at £200 a throw wearing my free
    wax jacket and expensive wellington boots

I would then retire to a quality dinner in my rather large house with my wife and dogs laughing all the way to the bank

On an aside and JOKING You should have taken 50% of the acres

Jack McH

• Like Like x 7
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      I want to smack him round the ear with a glove moyra!he never wears them so by his hands ya can tell he dont get stuck in often but does have lovely gardens :blue thumb:
      I feel for what you had to leave behind :cry3:xx

• Like Like x 4
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,152
        No I don't want acres and acres of plants, I'm quite happy to pop out and visit the RHS gardens (other makes are available) to see stuff I don't grow. As Jack says you would need an army of helpers to keep it looking good for the telly.

Moyra, could you plant your favourites them and dig them up when you leave?

• Like Like x 1
        • moyra

Retired
          Ratings:
          +9,817
          John, I have planted stuff like lilac tree and roses, aralia, choicsea etc and they are quite big now but expensive stuff I keep in pots as in the lease I am not allowed to remove anything from the garden even if I have put it in!

Have been looking with a view to getting back into home ownership but at my age am unlikely to get a mortgage. I am hoping maybe with Steve they may agree it. But for the time being I have signed up to yet another year here.

• Like Like x 1
          • moyra

Retired
            Ratings:
            +9,817
            I saw that garden on Gardeners World that was only 15 feet by I think they said 31feet but a mile high.Lol. I would love to do something like that mainly tropical but because it is so densely planted everything protects itself from the frosts. They even had a pond with fish in it.

• Like Like x 1
            • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,596
              You could always take the approach I did. I rented for years before I bought this place. The last 10 years of my life as a tenant was spent in the same house.

Tenancy agreements are typically ridiculous. My last few (original plus various differently worded renewals at the same house) were obviously written by a legal expert who'd never seen a garden, because one of the terms was that I had to maintain the garden in exactly the state it was when I moved in. In effect, I had to ask plants not to grow or die or suffer storm damage.

For the first few years I tried to stick to the rules as best I could, but then a time came when I thought flip it. I'm doing what I like with it, and over the next few years I turned it from a wasted space consisting of a bland lawn with massively overgrown leylandii hedge, into a perfectly respectable, pretty and productive garden. Then when we moved out, I dug up the plants I wanted to keep, let my dad choose some that he liked, and then told the old boy next door, who was a keen gardener, to help himself to anything that's left that takes his fancy.

• Like Like x 2
              • moyra

Retired
                Ratings:
                +9,817
                Yes, there was very little in this garden when I moved in 16 years ago, now it is a well developed garden. I think when or if I move from here I will probably take cuttings from the plants I like, most of these where grown from cuttings I pinched from here and there.

• Like Like x 2