Gardenia - What is happening - Help!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Charlie, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Charlie

Charlie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What is happening to my beautiful Gardenia? As you can see from the photos it looks very healthy at first glance and it has been producing some beautiful blooms. At one time there were nearly 30 buds on it. It stopped blooming about 2 weeks ago and the smaller buds started to grow up to blooming size, however suddenly some of the buds started to fall off. They didnt go brown at all and in fact they looked very healthy all along. I have however noticed that some of the buds appear to be distorted but saying that its not all of them that have fallen. The photos show a healthy and distorted bud on the plant plus some fallen buds and one shot of the whole plant. I have been feeding it and watering it with bottled water as we have very hard water here. It has never dried out either. Does anyone know what this may be.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,360
    I've tried growing Gardenias and haven't really mastered it. I've had similar problems.
    I know its easy to over water, and dry atmosphere can be a problem, they also seem to collect every bug going as far as I'm concerned.
    Not easy, I would also be interested to hear from anyone who as managed to really grow a good plant from one year to the next.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The only way I have kept a gardenia in the past is in the bathroom - they need humidity. So regular spraying with lime free water, or perhaps putting the pot on a tray of clay pebbles that you keep wet could deal with the problem

4. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    This is a very common problem with gardinias. Put it in a shadier place, they don't like the sun.

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124