1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Garlic infused water!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Steph, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Steph

Steph Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :coffee:I've read in the Gardeners World mag that using garlic infused water can help eliminate slugs/snails from Hostas! I want to try this in my garden but not on Hostas, does anyone know if it can be poisonous to any plants?
    Thanks

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Steph and welcome to the site. I don`t see garlic infused water causing harm to other plants. :dbgrtmb: Try it on one small plant first though if you have any doubts.:thumbsup:

3. Steph

Steph Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply! I tried it and as yet seems to be neither help nor hindrance! I decided to try watering my sweetcorn and tomatoes to see if it influences the taste!

4. IDigPerfectSquareHoles

IDigPerfectSquareHoles Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi Steph, I had a slug infestation in my garden 2 years ago and after looking for something environmentally-friendly in the shops (found none), I used BEER. Might sound like a waste of good beer, but if you get the cheapest nastiest one from a supermarket (apparently ale or port is best, but maybe lager will do?), pour it into pots and leave near your target plants the slugs will go for it like MAD and just drown. A happy death! :dbgrtmb: The advice is to bury or half-bury the pots in the ground so they don't get overturned by wind and to make it easier for the slugs to get in, but I just left mine there. The pots need to be at least 2.5-3 inch deep, with about an inch of beer in them (or a bit more if you're a generous soul :WINK1:). I just used the plastic pots supermarket mushrooms come in.

Obviously this can't be used if you have small kids... or alcoholic pets! :heehee:

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    A weak solution of vinegar will also deter pests.
    Neat vinegar is a great eco-friendly weed killer too. I use it all the time.

6. IDigPerfectSquareHoles

IDigPerfectSquareHoles Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    Hi Daisees,

could you please specify what strength vinegar, and what proportion of vuinegar to water you use?

thanks!