1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gentians

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SimonZ, Aug 11, 2020.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Hi, I planted these gentians a week or two ago, they have been doing quite nicely, other than the browning effect on a few petals, which is no doubt my fault for over-zealously watering and catching them with water. I have never grown gentians before, but there have been few options open to me lately with travel restrictions and so on, so these were among the only plants on sale that I could buy. it has been nice to ring the changes. What I'd like to ask now is, especially considering the current hot weather (and the heavy rain we are used to in our area) what I should do with them for the rest of the summer? Just keep watering whenever there is no rain? I see that they like full sun, yet where they are situated in my garden is actually amid considerable shade. DSCF3169.JPG DSCF3169.JPG DSCF3172.JPG DSCF3165.JPG

2. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Also wanted to ask - is it problematic for water to collect in the corolla?

3. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    I have seen them rot when they hold wet. But I am pretty poor with gentians - the only ones that do OK with me are g. asclepiadea. Is yours septemfida?