1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Geranium and Phlox rust?????

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ThePlantAssassin, Aug 21, 2019.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Some of my hardy geraniums leaves are poorly. Also some of my new Phlox leaves. Is it rust? If not what is it and what should I do? Any advice gratefully accepted. 20190821_165112.jpg 20190821_165127.jpg

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Cindy, not rust. :)

A fungal disease I think and I would cut off the affected foliage....I would cut off all the foliage now......remove it and any debris on the soil and mulch.

The foliage will grow back quite quickly to make a nice green mound again.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ThePlantAssassin

NuttyFruitCake
      Ratings:
      +1,016
      Thanks @Verdun. If I cant save them with a fungal spray that's what I'll do. I cut all my hardy geraniums right back already this year and although they were untidy and flowering less they were healthy. Strange. I think Ive learnt now that I need to keep some spare plants in my little pvc covered greenhouse to fill the gaps when things like this happen.

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Yes you can use a fungicide but it won’t remove the affected leaves. Forget the fungal spray and save money. Cutting back means you will have fresh unblemished foliage.
      Did you get your plants from Gardening Express? :)

• ThePlantAssassin

NuttyFruitCake
      Ratings:
      +1,016
      @Verdun Funny you should ask but the plants from Gardeners Express finally turned up yesterday. Im sure I sound like a moaning mini so the least said the better. They've obviously changed somehow since you did well from them. Every single plant was dead, diseased or quite literally a twig without a single leaf. Their plants are advertised as in bud or in flower.If I were in better health Id go after them under trade descriptions but Im just not up to it. Im sure I'll laugh about it one day but that day is not today. Im writing it off to a bad experience. Will chop my Geraniums back down again. Hope I do better next year. :fingers crossed:

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Oh that’s a shame Cindy.....really sorry for you to hear that. please get your money back.:)
        Say your experience has been posted on a garden forum. Send a photo to them with your email. It might take time but they won’t like the adverse publicity

I once did this a few years ago. Said I would make it publicly known on a garden forum ....not this one incidentally....if they didn’t refund me. This was after they refused to co operate. Got money back and a request I didn’t bad comment them:)

Ok, a few disappoints in this horticultural world but persevere......you will enjoy your garden and plants eventually Cindy :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
          Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
        • ThePlantAssassin

NuttyFruitCake
          Ratings:
          +1,016
          @Verdun I have looked up a business address and written the founder/CEO a rather strongly worded letter but I shan't hold my breathe. I have taken some pics and will save them on my phone just in case. Didn't want to use all my ink printing off a dozen or so photos which is what Id have to do as you cant email them. They're cowboys I tell ya cowboys :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
          • Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Good luck Cindy ....let us know how it goes :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
              Ratings:
              +4,345
              I'm sorry to hear that @cindy. As @Verdun says, send photo with email - they can't argue with that. I found photos very helpful dealing with another company whose lily bulbs were much smaller than advertised

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                Ratings:
                +10,604
                Wow. knock wood, never got that on mine.