1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Geranium watering issue

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Lexie, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Lexie

Lexie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I had this geranium in a pot for 3 years. Do you think the following issue is under or over watering? It is only the leaves at the base.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +18,042
    I'm afraid the pictures are not very clear, but the basal leaves usually die off as the stem gets taller.
    You'll know if you've over or under watered by feeling the compost, but if it's over watering the stem would probably rot and go mouldy.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,665
    Has it been in the same pot for 3years.

4. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,623
    These look like mine - which are this years plugs grown in fresh compost. I don't think that there's anything wrong as such - it's just a 'feature' of the plant.

It's drawing near to the time to prune them back for Winter storage - cut the stems back to around 3" to just above a bud.

Under/over watering results in the same symptoms - brown leaves - it's better to keep the compost dry rather than wet - as these plants originate from hotter climes.

Try not to worry if you see a couple of brown leaves - even evergreen perennials drop some of their leaves as new ones appear - I'm constantly clearing up brown Cherry Laurel leaves - the plants themselves look very healthy.