Geraniums/Cranesbill

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by wiseowl, Oct 31, 2012.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,280
    I have just had some bare root geraniums delivered which were ordered months ago,do I plant them in the ground now as the ground is quite wet or do I put them in pots and overwinter in the greenhouse,I have looked all through the threads as I am sure they were mentioned in an old thread but cannot find anything:)Thank you

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,022
    They would appreciate a bit of your special TLC Woo. A nice mix of loam,humous and gritty sand in a pot would make them happy. They won't need pretection from the vagaries of Winter especially, but a tucked away spot would be their preference I think,
    Jenny
    Cranesbills are another one of my little loves....:wub2:whotcha got then?

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,280
    Hi Jenny thank you very much,I have got 4 x Splish Splash 4 x Magnificum and 4 x Sanguineum Album:)

• Like Like x 1
    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +10,378
      Mine never needed any TLC. I just cut off some over run roots from several "mother" found a spot in the garden I wanted, dug, put in and cover, just fine and dandy. Mine are so hardy even in the dead of winter they remain upright and happy, some little color changes to a pretty redish.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Yes redstart, I know where you are coming from but I think wiseoldowl has very small roots so I would do as Jenny suggests...just to make sure plants are safe n sound for spring planting.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Ps. Until a couple of years back I bought geraniums from the Cranesbill Nursery. It stocked large range of potted plants. Not just roots! It's in new ownership now but it may still have that name. Worth looking at. Got some nice varieties including purple foliage, and one....phaem Margaret Wilson with almost white foliage which associates well with Heuchera berry smoothy, a red Heuchera

• Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,232
      I feel a bit of fence-sitting coming on!

If you're taking cuttings from existing plants in your garden, then yes, you don't need to moly-coddle them too much. Snip, re-home, and walk away, quite happy in the knowledge that you almost certainly have a new addition to your family. :-)

However, if your cuttings have been sent to you through the post, even if they arrive the next day, things have not gone too well for them. So a little TLC as Jenny suggested would be the best course of action.

Here, I've got some G. sanguinium that I've brought in pots from the previous home (either whole plants lifted, or cuttings taken last year a-la Redstar). They're doing well, but I'm giving them a little extra help over this winter, as I want to make sure I've got good strong plants for next year.

Hope they all come through the winter well for you, Woo!