1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Geraniums & Shade

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AndyS, Mar 23, 2018.

1. AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
    +50
    I need to find something suitable, and ideally perennial, to plant as a border plant alongside a low wooden fence. The problem is, the area in question is pretty much in constant shade from the fence and nearby trees. The fence is north-west facing.

I'm in East Yorkshire and the soil is quite heavy clay. I can improve this a bit if necessary, but this is for a school I'm helping, so keeping expenses to a minimum is key.

I'm thinking of putting in a double line of plants - something next to the fence which comes to about the full fence height (approx. 4ft) and something in front of that as ground cover/lower planting.

For the latter I was wondering about geraniums, primarily because a little horticulture centre near me has a load going cheap. The geraniums in question aren't labelled, but the foliage had a strong lemon scent - does this mean that they are definitely Lemon Scented Geraniums? If so these would be no good as these need full sun, right?

Any other suggestions for suitable plants (cheap, perennial, ideally flowering, easy to obtain) for this shady spot would be much appreciated, along with clarification about the Geraniums.

Thanks,

Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      Hi Andy, what a nice thing to do :)

Another option might be hostas, heucheras or ferns? Campanulas are nice and do ok in shade too.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +957
        I think you are referring to Pelargoniums rather than the hardy Geraniums, the first likes lots of sun and often has scented foliage, the second is much more situated to clay and shady sites.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
          If you are referring to hardy geraniums they would be a great choice and they clump um nicely too, they cope quite well with the shade..
          How to Grow Hardy, Perennial Geraniums

There are also a lot of ferns to choose from and some are very colourful..
          Hardy Ferns

Hellebores.. Buy helleborus: Delivery by Crocus

There is also this bamboo that I have in a very big container in the corner in full shade and it is loving it..
          https://www.charellagardens.co.uk/bamboo-plants-for-shade-bamboo

I have given you the links as much easier to look at your leisure.. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            The scented pelargoniums like plenty of sun and are far from hardy. Essentially indoor plants.
            If you are after a hardy geranium AndyS I suggest geranium phaem Margaret
            Wilson. Quite unusual because it has grey foliage ...pinkish flowers too.
            A favourite perennial of mine is actea .......Brunette has red/black sculpted foliage and white scented spires of flowers. If would go well with the geranium mentioned.
            Astilbes, astrantias and ferns would enjoy that situation too. White anemones like Wild Swan would add beautiful contrast throughout the summer.
            I would also, for lower level planting, add hackonechloa ....green forms, variegated forms and yellow forms available.
            For taller planting, how about dogwoods? They are pruned to ground level ...about now...and they make 5 ' or so in summer. The stems, esp on elegantissima and aurea (green and white leaves and yellow leaves respectively) produce lovely red colour for the winter months :)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
              Ratings:
              +10,522
              I love my hardy geraniums in shade. one major reason is heir density stops weeds from growing under them. so less pulling of weeds. as they mature they move out further and further umbrella their wonderful shaped leaves, again leaving no weeds to see the sight of day. In the winter, when the snow is on them they still sit tall and proud, and do not mush out or wither away.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
                +50
                Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

Sorry to be a bit slow on the uptake, but are you saying that what are commonly called Lemon Scented Geraniums are actually a type of Pelargonium? And therefore not perennial and/or suitable for planting in shade? I'll pop back to the garden centre I mentioned and try to clarify what the lemony-scented plants I saw are.

Didn't think of those - great suggestion :-)

I love anemones! Not sure if I'll be able to source those cheaply around here, but will start making enquiries.

This is another great idea - and I have a load of dogwood myself that I can cut and plant right now - so ticks my boxes of being cheap (or in this case free!) and available right away.

So my current list: Hardy Geranium, Hellebores, Anemones, Ferns, Campanulas and Dogwood. I'll get on with trying to source some or all of that lot right away. Thanks again everyone for all your help :-)

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                • Like Like x 1
                • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
                  Ratings:
                  +14,125
                  @AndyS I also have a Pink winter flowering cherry.. Was staring at it yesterday but it didn't register .. Winter flowering Cherry - Prunus subhirtella Autumnalis Rosea

• Like Like x 1