Geraniums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hannah, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hullo, 'nother question... Is it normal for geraniums to start producing what look like rust-coloured spores on the undersides of their leaves?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,360
    Dont sound right to me, I think you might have answered your own question, RUST.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Do they wash off Hannah???

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hannah, which Geraniums are they, the hardy type ?
    ----------
    Ladybird

5. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Stereotypical big red ones. Not much help, I know... to explain a bit better, they're in our church yard in a big container. You may have heard of Floral Guernsey? Well, each parish tries to outdo the others in having tubs of flowers everywhere, and basically we were donated a massive tub of geraniums in an effort to be top parish. It got a bit dead-looking so one lady took it home and gave it some tlc, it's now big and bushy with lots of lovely flowers, but then these spore things appeared a week or so ago... I shall see if it washes off on Sunday, and meantime go and look up rust - thanks peeps, catch ya later... [​IMG]

6. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Must be the zonal type then, not hardy, but flower all Summer, but need deadheading to encourage more flowering....Rust ? never heard of being prone to...only the Butterfly like them , then get caterpillars after... eat all the leaves...if you let them.
    Ladybird