Geraniums

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by trogre, Feb 26, 2013.

1. trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
    +279
    Hi All I am having problems with my geraniums this year.I have the geraniums in a unheated greenhouse.Each pot are wrapped up from the cold and I have polystyrene around them + I cover with fleece at night if it is going below freezing.I know geraniums like to be on the dry side during the dormant period.

I first started getting like a fungy type stuff on the plants where they were cut down.I have pruned that off and all seemed to be ok.You can see in photos where the dead rotten parts are.
    I have noticed that some of the leaves are very light in colour and one is even drooping.I have not watered for a while as the soil is damp to the touch and I do not want to over water this early.
    Could it be the earth is still too wet? or perhaps as they are growing they need feeding.Some of the geraniums are fine.
    Thanks for any help.
    geranium.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,024
    Hallo Trogre
    I think they are fed up with these sunless cold dark days that seem to just go on and on this Winter.So, no watering of course and whip their hoods off whenever there's decent light or sun,
    Jenny

3. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    Grey mildew.
    http://www.uoguelph.ca/~gbarron/MISC2007/nov2007.htm

It's all over some of the greenhouse plants at this time of year. They need some warm sunshine just as badly as I do. Geraniums always seem to fall prey and look exactly as you describe. I have some of last year's plants left. They may just die, but I cut off the tops so there's not much left for the mildew to grow on, keep them dryish, give them a bit of a feed when the weather warms up and hope for the best.

With a bit of luck they'll produce some shoots for making cuttings. Geraniums are pretty cheap to replace if not and arguably fresh plants will be more vigorous, anyway.