1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gerbera

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by greenfingers, Sep 1, 2005.

1. greenfingers

greenfingers Gardener

driver
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mid July I had bought a dark pink coloured Gerbera from a garden centre. When I got the plant home I repotted into a larger pot as soon as I got back, due to roots hanging out of the bottom of the original pot. So far, I have had the third set of flowers grown, and I can see 8 more flower buds emerging from the soil. Is this normal, although I don't mind, only it also drinks water like a fish, have I given cause for the plant to out grow itself? I am grateful for this happening, as the plant is lovely and to know it is establishing well, only I never known a plant to act so fast like this.

2. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. greenfingers

greenfingers Gardener

driver
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, that's a shame. A gerbera is such a nice plant, highly recommend them to anyone, except aqua.

4. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] to greenfingers

I just didn't water it enough :( its not like my other houseplants which have adapted to being second best in the summer to my yard plants

that and it wasn't in the right room - it was in my dining room and away from my eyes most of the time

I do feel quite bad about it tbh, I love them

maybe I'll try again next year

5. greenfingers

greenfingers Gardener

driver
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, going on my plant for experience, I say they love light, mine is on the window sill, and they like lots of water. I am watering this plant almost every other day. Although, I say where I repotted mine, it has given it a burst of life. It's doubled in size already.
    :rolleyes:

6. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    see I didn't even repot it [​IMG]

now I feel doubly bad, it was a fabulous orange colour too :(

*sits in naughty corner*

7. greenfingers

greenfingers Gardener

driver
    Ratings:
    +0
    My only intentions for repotting, was for the flowering cactuses I have. I repotted the two cactuses into one large terracotta pot. So had a spare pot larger for the gerbera. I didn't mean to on purpose.
    Just one tip, if you buy another, do keep a close eye on it.

8. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

:D

9. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I bought one back in about May, which I repotted. When it finished flowering inside I gave it a summer holiday outside in its pot, where it started to flower again, had a siesta and is now in flower again. My book says that they are tender perennials and can even overwinter outside in very mild areas.

I got several tender perennials this year because they flower for such a long time. Argyranthemum, Diascia. Heliotrope, Nemesia and Osteopermum, as well as Pelagoniums. They are all really good value. Stick them in large pots or in the ground.

10. greenfingers

greenfingers Gardener

driver
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it just goes to show that to repot a plant whether it needs to be or not, is worth it anyhow.
    If we take note on how a bonsai tree stays in its small growth, is down to the roots being kept trimmed. So to give a plant that extra room to establish in, helps it grow into something larger and healthier.

11. Frangipani

Frangipani Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got three different colours in one pot [​IMG] they are lovely when the sun is out, but yes I do have to water them pretty much every day in this heat or they end up looking a little 'droopy dropsie'...

12. greenfingers

greenfingers Gardener

driver
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure my gerbera is a waterholic. As soon as I place water in the bottom of the container, it drains it all up within seconds.