1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gerberas

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Herb, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Herb

Herb Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ive just bought my dad one for his garden and its been acting rather strangely. In the morning its upright but during the day it droops, looks completely lifeless until the next morning. Are they that sensitive to the sun?

2. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Hi Herb
    Gerberas are morning girls.
    They open wide for the morning sun and close up in the evening.
    Dead heading when the flower has finished will ensure new flowers throughout the Summer.
    A word of caution though - my D-I-Law was keen to keep her garden flowering and dead heads like crazy. Unfortunately she was unaware of the Gerbera's evening snooze and decapitated a potful before I could enlighten her. She has recovered though, and has grown Gerbera again this year - with more success.:thumbsup:

3. Herb

Herb Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply.
    Does that account also for the fact the whole flower, including stem, lays practically flat out along the ground for most of th day. Very odd. (??)