1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Germinating Courgette seeds?

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by BastLoki, Apr 16, 2013.

1. BastLoki

BastLoki Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    So last year, my uncle, who lives in LA but travels all over europe, in his great generosity and well-meaning, gave me a whole bunch of duty-free vegetable seed packets as a gift, since he knows I like gardening but has little skill or knowledge in the matter himself. I've used the radish seeds and sown them in situ last week, and I'm already starting to see signs of sproutage.

I figure now, while I'm about to start with making outdoor cucumber seedlings, would be a decent enough time to also start courgettes. One probelm - there's no information as to germination on the packet. It's in several different languages and the english instructions only start as to when I should prick them out and put them in big-boy pots!

Anyone with experience with growing summer squash from seed would be appreciated! I've only ever grown patty-pans from mail-order plugs, so I don't know where to start with zukes. Halp plz?

(Oh, and the variety is called 'Diamant F1', and the picture on the packet shows a medium-sized green courgette with a large flower still attached, if that helps at all.)

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    I've grown Diamant. They need lightly moist soil and warm temperatures - 68 - 70 degrees is usually quoted. (As do all courgettes/marrows). Given these they will germinate within 3 or 4 days. I will probably start mine next week in the propagator, after they germinate they can be grown on slightly cooler. They dislike cold and we are bound to have cool weather between now and planting out time in early June so I'm not rushing - they grow fast.
    If they don't show within a week or 10 days check to see if they've rotted and then resow. They'll catch up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      ...and sow them on their "edge", not flat.

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 2