1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Germinating Pancratium maritimum seed

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by longk, Dec 27, 2013.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Easiest way to germinate Mangos is to put them in the compost bin!

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,311
    :roflol:That tip will be useful...
    Your avatar, it's haunting me, longk. May I ask where you got the Tacca seed from? I seem to remember that it has to be really fresh to germinate, and P*********d's obviously wasn't! Ditto the plumeria seed from Thailand.
    On the bright side, Pere Noel dropped a heating cable down the chimney last week, so looking forward to better results with the exotics this year.
    Happy New Year!

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    I had the same trouble with seed as you so I bought a reduced plant that had flowered. I was over the moon when I got it to flower, less pleased that the sheer size of this plant meant that it had to go when I moved house. I was hoping that it would produce seed but no luck there.

4. noisette47

Ratings:
    +14,311
    You cheat, you:heehee: That's that, then....no chance of finding anything like that over here!
    The height of exoticism and sophistication in a French nursery is a pelargonium:gaah:
    What a shame that you had to give it up, still I bet it made room for a few other plants in the new house?

5. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Cheating is buying them in bloom! Mind you, the amount that I wasted on seed over the years it would have been cheaper to have bought one in bloom!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • noisette47

Ratings:
      +14,311
      Same here, and ditto Plumeria, Banana, Hedychium, the list goes on.......
      Is there a thread for (discreetly) naming and shaming dud seed sellers? If not there should be. It would save us all a lot of time, money and heartache....

• Like Like x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        At what point does a seed lose its viability? And some seed needs a certain technique, others patience, etc, etc..... Some buy them in in good faith, so I'm wary of naming "dud" sellers, more interested in naming reliable sellers.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I'm shy about naming duds as it may be me that is at fault ... but there again I think the seed companies rely on that a bit.

I grew about a dozen varieties of Delphinium last year. Identical mini seed trays, sown at the same time, side by side, chilled for several months over winter and then they germinated in the spring. Of those 2 or 3 trays had zero germination. I'm pretty sure that, on that occasion, it was not down to me

• Agree Agree x 1