1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Germinating Seeds in Glasshouse Now??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by chrisinoxford, Mar 22, 2011.

1. chrisinoxford

chrisinoxford Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, just starting out and trying to do some research on growing plants from seeds.

I have an array of hardy perennials and was wondering can i germinate them in my glass house outside this time of year as well as grow them there.

Most info i have seen says germinate them inside between 15 to 20 degrees c for up to 21 days. Not sure if i have the space, hence can they be placed outside in my glass house. i have several trays. Is frost an issue?

Also i have some sow direct outside hardy annuals, i was wondering is it worth me starting them in a tray in the glass house also? if that is acceptable, at the moment the ground is not ready and i was looking to gain a head start.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers chris.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Chris - and welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can grow hardy perenniald in a glass house now - no problem. If they are hardy perennials, frost shouldn't be an issue as they are capable of growing by themselves out of doors anyway.

The main reason people say germinate the seeds indoors (which is what I do), is to give them a jump start. If its cold, outside seeds may take some time to germinate and then do it over a prolonged period. If you do it inside they tend to do it much quicker and all at the same time.

But its been a glorious day today, and I suspect that they could germinate perfectly well outside, even though we know that the frosts aren't quite over.

Although you can sow annuals directly in situ, I prefer to sow them under glass in pots anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • chrisinoxford

chrisinoxford Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Peter.

Thats brilliant thanks, i only saw the plastic bag idea just now and may give both a try.

Thanks.

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015